Reef Sweep and Beach Cleanup June 12 '04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:) Got info - Pompano Beach Pier is getting all sorts of activity (divers, beach walkers, etc.); Deerfield Pier is a new site thats not been touched before. Anyone up to diving into the unknown?

why yes! Sounds like fun...Deerfield is only a few miles farther north than Pompano...fine with me.. Anybody gonna do beach cleanups? (and possibly chaparone Hermit Crab and/or other crabs?)

We could do the dives in shifts - one group in, one group out - so we dont saturate the area with to many people. I'm game for coming over the night before and doing a scout dive so we know what to expect.

I'm also ordering the trauma shears tonight. Will have a fresh supply of them available and may be getting the orange fruit bags for us to use (they are so easy to dive with, even full of stuff!).

CBulla:
I'm game for coming over the night before and doing a scout dive so we know what to expect.
I can tell you there are likely to be quite a few people fishing off the pier. Does anyone know if the piers will be closed to fishermen during the clean up? Last year, when we did Phil Foster park, FWC asked the fishermen to leave the pier until the divers were done cleaning up.

CBulla:
I'm also ordering the trauma shears tonight. Will have a fresh supply of them available and may be getting the orange fruit bags for us to use (they are so easy to dive with, even full of stuff!).

Colin, am I still in time to ask for two???? Let me know

I'm all for trying Deerfield. I'm definitely in.

And I'd like a pair or two of those shears, Colin.

See you guys soon,
Grier

Last year when we did Commerical Pier, they closed it for 3 hours for the divers to clean. Even 6 months later with the pier closed, you know how much stuff is still left. The coolest thing, was it seemed like the fish knew what we were doing and were all around saying thank you!

Basically, by the time you get the pre dive info and get out there, then do your dive, there was not much time to switch teams or anything. There will be a bunch of divers, most will be done within an hour of starting or so. I suggest we all dive together and just try to get as much done as possible. Be ready to grab miles of monofiliment and sinkers.

Oh yeah, Colin, put me down for a couple pairs also.

I'm ready to go this afternoon!!!

Wildbill:
For staying over, and it would be great to get everyone together at one location to Party, eh...I Mean Socialize after the dives. :eyebrow:

Maybe Scuba_Jenny or someone over there can make a few recommendations.

Wildbill:cop_2:
Looks like Colin found a place to drop the head. Personally, I wouldn't mind having my buddies over afterwards...but I live about 20 miles from the Deerfield site. Do have a grill tho...
However keep in mind
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=613267&postcount=49
All participants are invited to the Reef Sweep Party immediately after the cleanup 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm where awards will be given to the people who collect the most garbage, rope and monofilament. This lively party includes food, live entertainment, raffle and door prizes. Bring your children too. $10 Non-volunteers $5 Volunteers $3 for children under 12. We will have discount coupons available, if you want to walk over to the Museum of Discovery and Science to see the world's largest captive Atlantic coral reef. There will also be Soap Box Derby Races in the streets that day. Don’t worry about Parking. Plenty of garages and the City Public Garage Across from the Library (1.5 blocks away).

Check out the party location, Baja Fort Lauderdale at the Fort Lauderdale Las Olas Riverfront Complex (300 SW 1st Ave., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 Phone: 954-462-5604) and the live entertainment.

Raffle tickets are available for an $8,000 value LUXURY cruise from Radisson Seven Seas Cruises. There will also be hotel stays and airline tickets to raffle off plus much more.

Sounds like fun to me!

CBulla:
Days Inn near pompano pier is 43 for double bed rooms :D

Hey Colin, Are you planning on staying at this Days Inn then? I think we can come over late afternoon Friday also. If not we (myself +2 bubblewatchers/babysitters) will be there Sat. morn around 8ish. Can you post the address or number so we can call there for reservations.

I will also buy a pair of shears from you as well if you can bring some extras.

Looks like another SB Dive event no one should miss. Those that do will be sorry!!!!

Wildbill:cop_2:

CBulla:
I'm also ordering the trauma shears tonight. Will have a fresh supply of them available

I hope you are getting the Ginzu models that cut pennies in half. :D

Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom