Vessel Red Sea LOB sinks, all rescued

This Thread Prefix is for incidents related to one or more vessels from kayaks to ships.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over 20 years. How many people died as a result of gun crime in North America since 2003? How many people died as a result of RTAs on Europe since 2003 ?
Now I'm curious but too lazy to google it. Can you look that up for me?

Red sea does have disproportionate amount of LOB accidents.

To be fair, the Red Sea does have a very disproportionate number of LOB's compared with the rest of the world. I was in Hurghada for 3 weeks in February and had to chance to visit many marinas, there is TONS of LOB's there.

To be fair, the Red Sea does have a very disproportionate number of LOB's compared with the rest of the world. I was in Hurghada for 3 weeks in February and had to chance to visit many marinas, there is TONS of LOB's there.
One could try to normalize the number of accidents per region by the number of liveaboards active in the region in an attempt to make the comparison fairer. This may be difficult to apply historically.

The Red Sea does seem to have had a significant number of accidents in the last several years.

Per Scubadada's numbers, that's 20 casualties in 21 years (.95/yr avg); 12 casualties in the past five years (2.4/yr avg); 10 in the most recent 2.5 years (4/yr avg). Liveaboard.com reports 82 LOBs operating in Egypt; 92 in Indonesia; 56 in the Galapagos; 47 in the Maldives, etc.

There are certainly casualties worldwide, but looking at just these three popular destinations and scrolling back through this forum, there is a much higher rate of vessel loss in the Red Sea (although Thailand operators are running neck-and-neck for 2024.)

(Kudos to ScubaBoard, and especially DandyDon, for creating space for these reports; does anyone know of any comparable source for incident reports? I searched around DAN's site and found nothing.)

Let's not forget what happened in the US, Conception. It had the HIGHEST number of dead in one accident.

I am not trying to minimize the issues they have in Egypt but let's not get carried away unfairly. I am a vocal critic of what's going on in Egypt but I believe that we shouldn't be unfair and try to hide what's going on in other parts of the world. We hear about Egypt because it is a very popular spot in the world and very close.

Per Scubadada's numbers, that's 20 casualties in 21 years (.95/yr avg); 12 casualties in the past five years (2.4/yr avg); 10 in the most recent 2.5 years (4/yr avg). Liveaboard.com reports 82 LOBs operating in Egypt; 92 in Indonesia; 56 in the Galapagos; 47 in the Maldives, etc.

There are certainly casualties worldwide, but looking at just these three popular destinations and scrolling back through this forum, there is a much higher rate of vessel loss in the Red Sea (although Thailand operators are running neck-and-neck for 2024.)

(Kudos to ScubaBoard, and especially DandyDon, for creating space for these reports; does anyone know of any comparable source for incident reports? I searched around DAN's site and found nothing.)
In June, Undercurrent published a special report, "A Decade of Liveaboard Losses". At this time, the report is available only to members.

There also is the article cited by @cerich in February

There are a million reasons why I would never go to this part of the world ever again, even for diving, and this thread isn't inspiring me to change my mind.

There are a million reasons why I would never go to this part of the world ever again, even for diving, and this thread isn't inspiring me to change my mind.
You took the words right outta my mouth.

You took the words right outta my mouth.

I am sure that millions upon millions of people are heart broken to hear this. Might as well close the region and all goes home.

I am going to find myself a far away corner and just give it a good cry, just too much for me to bear this sadness to hear that you two aren't coming to dive in the Red sea. I am totally heart broken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom