Recreational Pony Bottles, completely unnecessary? Why or why not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The scuba cops don’t carry guns. If you get in the water without a clear agreement and swim off to hook-up with someone else, that makes you the bad buddy, pretty much regardless of what the other diver does.

PADI and NAUI aren’t your dive buddies.
This is getting annoying, when I look at the meaning of keep in google "cause to continue in a specified condition, position, course, etc." Specified condition is the agreement.

For me, it isn't a insta-buddy fear....

I do a lot of recreational diving in COLD (sub 40F) waters and because of that I carry a pony bottle. The pony serves as a source of gas to go to in the event of a freeze/free flow. The potential stress of a second diver on a single stage isn't my first choice. Get on the pony, get the failure shut down, end the dive. Maybe if it thaws, you can go back on the main, but maybe not....

I wouldn't even consider it for warm waters...

YMMV

For me, it isn't a insta-buddy fear....

I do a lot of recreational diving in COLD (sub 40F) waters and because of that I carry a pony bottle. The pony serves as a source of gas to go to in the event of a freeze/free flow. The potential stress of a second diver on a single stage isn't my first choice. Get on the pony, get the failure shut down, end the dive. Maybe if it thaws, you can go back on the main, but maybe not....

I wouldn't even consider it for warm waters...

YMMV
A very valid reason to carry redundancy of some sort. Diving in the cold waters of the Great Lakes and Newfoundland was the reason I started carrying a pony and like you I do not typically use one in warm clear water unless I have a reason to go deep. The issue I have is that some (not you) try to discourage others from using a pony, should they desire to do so for whatever reason, implying that it is the sign of a bad diver.

A very valid reason to carry redundancy of some sort. Diving in the cold waters of the Great Lakes and Newfoundland was the reason I started carrying a pony and like you I do not typically use one in warm clear water unless I have a reason to go deep. The issue I have is that some (not you) try to discourage others from using a pony, should they desire to do so for whatever reason, implying that it is the sign of a bad diver.

While this is true, I've also found that those who use a pony, like myself since ditching my doubles/twinset, don't give a flying fig what others think about my use of a pony bottle. So I just laugh along as I read this thread. The arguments for or against are nothing more than an intellectual exercise in debate techniques. They aren't really going to sway anyone's opinion one way or the other.

While this is true, I've also found that those who use a pony, like myself since ditching my doubles/twinset, don't give a flying fig what others think about my use of a pony bottle. So I just laugh along as I read this thread. The arguments for or against are nothing more than an intellectual exercise in debate techniques. They aren't really going to sway anyone's opinion one way or the other.
I have a concern for those who get discouraged from using a pony by some of the twaddle that is posted. In my area where there is a lot of diving in cold water and a pony can be very beneficial in the event of a freeflow. Like you I do not giver a tinkers damn about how other view my own choices.

Welcome to the internet

I have a concern for those who get discouraged from using a pony by some of the twaddle that is posted. In my area where there is a lot of diving in cold water and a pony can be very beneficial in the event of a freeflow. Like you I do not giver a tinkers damn about how other view my own choices.

I hear that and very much appreciate you taking a stand. But I honestly believe the majority can see through the blather. If you are the kind of diver seriously considering acquiring and using a pony bottle, you will do your research and reach your own conclusion based upon your specific situation(s).

But you left your buddy without a backup so how did that solve the problem.
This is how you distort it. I wrote he swam off despite signals. He is the one who is leaving. I guess it doesn't matter what I wrote, you are fixated to your conspiracy theories.

Back
Top Bottom