Recreational Pony Bottles, completely unnecessary? Why or why not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do people keep insisting that a CESA or air share are the better options when they are obviously not.
I am not sure people are insisting that CESA or an air share are better options. I think they are saying that they are viable options to consider when trying to decide whether you want to go to the trouble of carrying a pony. If people decide that those options are good enough for them, they may then decide to go without the pony.

Similarly, there are lots of cars better than the ones my wife and I own, but we have decided that the ones we have are good enough for us.

Is that true or did you just make it up out of your head. If you know some facts of the case say them but don’t make stuff up to justify your position.
The PADI position for at least three decades has been that an alternate air source ascent -- this is not specified to be a octo from a buddy -- is preferable to a CESA or to buddy-breathing or to a buoyant emergency ascent.

The PADI position for at least three decades has been that an alternate air source ascent -- this is not specified to be a octo from a buddy -- is preferable to a CESA or to buddy-breathing or to a buoyant emergency ascent.
So what has that got to do with the post my comment is aimed at.

Is that true or did you just make it up out of your head. If you know some facts of the case say them but don’t make stuff up to justify your position.
Do you not understand what conjecture is?. I did not make a statement of fact.

A number on this thread are arguing that they are not a good idea. I have no issues with those that choose not to use them only those that discourage the use by others.

So what has that got to do with the post my comment is aimed at.
I read your comment as referring to the last line in that post. What else might you have been referring to?

If a diver sinks deeper in the water during a panic, they will become more negative and sink faster. At depth he may be kicking, but unable to swim up his own gear, without air to add to regain buoyancy they will continue to sink. Panic is not going to make them think clearer. A sloppily executed buoyant ascent is probably better than dead on the bottom. This was what has always bothered me about the perfect trim, no ditchable weight crowd, everything is easy until it isn’t. You don’t need stuff until you do and if you don’t have it, to late now….

This was what has always bothered me about the perfect trim, no ditchable weight crowd, everything is easy until it isn’t. You don’t need stuff until you do and if you don’t have it, to late now….
But... the key is redundancy and practice.

Redundant gas; twinset, sidemount or CCR, there's always planned extras. For singles there's a pony, side-slung or attached to the side of the cylinder.

Redundant buoyancy: wing and drysuit with 2 SMBs or lift bags

Redundant lights, computers, cutting devices, double-enders, spare mask, spools... etc.

But... the key is redundancy and practice.

Redundant gas; twinset, sidemount or CCR, there's always planned extras. For singles there's a pony, side-slung or attached to the side of the cylinder.

Redundant buoyancy: wing and drysuit with 2 SMBs or lift bags

Redundant lights, computers, cutting devices, double-enders, spare mask, spools... etc.
Ditchable weight is redundant buoyancy. A wing, drysuit, lift bags, SMBs are basically tits on a bull if you haven’t got any gas to put in them.

I read your comment as referring to the last line in that post. What else might you have been referring to?
(Maybe because they were both struggling to ditch them they did not think of the obvious.) that’s what I was commenting on.

Back
Top Bottom