Recreational Pony Bottles, completely unnecessary? Why or why not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made an emergency assent from 120 feet in a wet suit , no BCD and wearing twin steel 12 ltr. Donated my reg. to an OOA diver and couldn’t get it back. I got a breath from his reg. on the way up.

I had twins with one reg. never used an octo. A diver came to me OOA. My standby was on the surface.

Should I have left him drown. He wasn’t part of my dive plan.
If there is a possibility that you will need to assist someone who is out of air, then it would make sense to carry an alternate air source. You noted that when you donated your ownly regulator, you did not get it back. That is one of the reasons most dive agencies do not teach single regulator buddy breathing and instead implore divers to carry an alternate air source.

Several years ago in Florida a woman rented a regulator set that did not include an alternate. Another diver, not her buddy, ran out of air and was unable to ditch weights because he had somehow screwed up the weight pockets on his new BCD. She shared air via buddy breathing in much the same scenario as yours. Both divers drowned.

If there is a possibility that you will need to assist someone who is out of air, then it would make sense to carry an alternate air source. You noted that when you donated your ownly regulator, you did not get it back. That is one of the reasons most dive agencies do not teach single regulator buddy breathing and instead implore divers to carry an alternate air source.

Several years ago in Florida a woman rented a regulator set that did not include an alternate. Another diver, not her buddy, ran out of air and was unable to ditch weights because he had somehow screwed up the weight pockets on his new BCD. She shared air via buddy breathing in much the same scenario as yours. Both divers drowned.
Buddy breathing was the norm at the time. I was confident I’d make it to the surface and that he would drown if I didn’t give him air. Don’t understand why you’d need to ditch weight on an assent with a BCD

Don’t understand why you’d need to ditch weight on an assent with a BCD
If your BCD is working, there should not be a need.

If your BCD is working, there should not be a need.
So how did not been able to ditch weights cause them to drown? His BCD was new and both BCD,s would have to fail. If they both did fail how would an octo help.

So how did not been able to ditch weights cause them to drown? His BCD was new and both BCD,s would have to fail. If they both did fail how would an octo help.
Maybe because they were both struggling to ditch them they did not think of the obvious. How many here have tried to share air with a panicking diver, it it not quite what you had practiced in drills. This is a situation where if each had a pony there may have been no fatalities. Why do people keep insisting that a CESA or air share are the better options when they are obviously not.

He was hunting lobster, and apparently some lobster hunters like to dive significantly overweighted. He managed to get to the surface but could not stay there, could not inflate, and could not figure out how to ditch his weights. (My guess--and it is strictly a guess--was that he was wearing a Zeagle and put the weights in the wrong pockets--both weight pockets and regular pockets are zippered, and their zippers are side-by-side.)

I don't know more than I read about on the ScubaBoard discussion about a decade ago.

The joint PADI/DAN research on scuba fatalities found that OOA divers reaching the surface but being unable to stay there was a surprisingly common problem, and as a result, PADI added dropping weights on the surface and additional emphasis on oral inflation of the BCD to the OW course.

An OOA diver who reaches the surface and is unable to stay there is overweighted.

He was hunting lobster, and apparently some lobster hunters like to dive significantly overweighted. He managed to get to the surface but could not stay there, could not inflate, and could not figure out how to ditch his weights. (My guess--and it is strictly a guess--was that he was wearing a Zeagle and put the weights in the wrong pockets--both weight pockets and regular pockets are zippered, and their zippers are side-by-side.)

I don't know more than I read about on the ScubaBoard discussion about a decade ago.

The joint PADI/DAN research on scuba fatalities found that OOA divers reaching the surface but being unable to stay there was a surprisingly common problem, and as a result, PADI added dropping weights on the surface and additional emphasis on oral inflation of the BCD to the OW course.

An OOA diver who reaches the surface and is unable to stay there is overweighted.
I’d dump the whole lot, in any case an octo isn’t going to help, I agree not being able to dump weight is a huge flaw and it’s the one thing I don’t like about the XDeep system

Maybe because they were both struggling to ditch them they did not think of the obvious. How many here have tried to share air with a panicking diver, it it not quite what you had practiced in drills. This is a situation where if each had a pony there may have been no fatalities. Why do people keep insisting that a CESA or air share are the better options when they are obviously not.
Is that true or did you just make it up out of your head. If you know some facts of the case say them but don’t make stuff up to justify your position.

Back
Top Bottom