Re-purposed condemned SCUBA tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At Little Cayman Beach Resort they paint old tanks in bright colors and use them as decorative ornaments around the property.

View attachment 496183

View attachment 496184
This has given me an idea. First, I've been collecting condemned tanks for the purpose of VIP training.

However, there's no law against multiple uses. I've collected a few condemned cylinders, and I'm thinking of welding them together and painting a diver down flag across.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to best weld them together? I understand that it will get heavy. I'll probably have about 5 cylinders welded together of various sizes, smallest being an AL40, biggest a steel 119.

This has given me an idea. First, I've been collecting condemned tanks for the purpose of VIP training.

However, there's no law against multiple uses. I've collected a few condemned cylinders, and I'm thinking of welding them together and painting a diver down flag across.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to best weld them together? I understand that it will get heavy. I'll probably have about 5 cylinders welded together of various sizes, smallest being an AL40, biggest a steel 119.
Gonna be tricky welding the aluminum one to the steel one.

would love details on that grill
It was an old steel tank someone gave my brother. His plan was to make a lamp out of it but I had seen a picture on the web of one turned into a grill. After a little begging he gave it to me. The legs, grate, handle, and other tabs were cut on our cnc plasma machine. I hand cut the tank using a grinder. I welded everything up and when I was happy I sandblasted it, then soaked it in muratic acid, followed by another trip to the sandblast cabinet to ensure I removed all the galvanizing and finally painted it using high temp bbq paint. The handle is a small scuba tank that we designed and cut that also does double duty as a bottle opener. The Cockroach in the grill grate represents our metal business Cockroach Customs. His name is Larry.

Gonna be tricky welding the aluminum one to the steel one.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. Maybe I'll collect enough aluminum and steel cylinders to have two sets. Still looking for tips for welding. Something I've been meaning to get into. This just gives me a project/motivation.

I was thinking about that but I’d prefer to not cut the bottoms of the cylinders off.

Still looking for tips for welding.
MIG: think gun that feeds wire into your weld. came into existence so semi-skilled workers could make a half-decent weld. (has since advanced way, way past that)
TIG: 'White Collar' welding. Argon gas shield, requires really clean metal and really good fit-ups. (clean, tight fits before welding, no gaps)
Stick: Let's just get this done! Badboy of welding. Start with really forgiving rod like 1/8" 6011 and a welder that will give you as much over 100 amps as you can afford. Think used. I had an airconditioner cut-off on my water heater so my welder could share the circuit. Kid would weld at night and I would be treated to a cold shower in the morning. (He is still alive, no worries)

Many years ago, upgraded to a 180 amp Stick/TIG never looked back, never regretted it...

Oh, one more thing. Ford vs. Chevy. You have two good options, choose one and the other half starts busting on you.

Lincoln or Miller (alphabetical order)

Do it. Everything you want to know is a vid online...

then long bolts two tanks each

you might tension in a good tune with all thread

Wire them together with a fancy looking twist?

then long bolts two tanks each

you might tension in a good tune with all thread

I want about 5 or 6 cylinders.

What I have come up with is creating a base for all cylinders and mount to that. I can drill a hole in the center of each cylinder, and then tap them to create threads, and when wallah! (sp?), put bolts through the base into the cylinder, holding them into place.

The painting is going to be a bit tricky though. The red part is easy, but getting the white stripe across will be tricky I'll start with tape. But I think it will look pretty good in the end.

For cylinders not purposed for the dive flag, I'll probably paint bright yellow with minions stickers for eyes and such, place old masks over the eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom