Re-purposed condemned SCUBA tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure how the cylinder was initially charged, but in the end, an ice ball did form around it. I think the process involved placing something else, some other part of the DIY, over a fire. When that was done, then the desired ice ball formed around the scuba cyl.

The gist of it was that one could obtain ice by vaporizing(?), via the heat of an outdoor camp fire, the liquid in the system, essentially making a fridge.

I wish I could remember more details.

I dove with a club once that had a used tank shrine as one of their underwater navigation points. They had a underwater nav route set up and a very impressive pile of old tanks was the starting/end point since it was pretty easy to find..

Donated a tank to them when it failed.

Just ran across this today on FB. Maybe others have seen it as well.
scubatankaquarium.jpg

I might do this as well. I won't have fish inside as I'll kill them, but some rocks, a plant (like seen here), maybe a shell or two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom