Re-purposed condemned SCUBA tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Do any of you who scrap your personal or customer's SCUBA cylinders both steel and aluminum ever "repurposed" the condemned cylinders into useful objects? <<<< My grand daughter Kassidi Mardell gave me that word "repurposed" from a summer school "enrichment class" >>>

Old used SCUBA cylinders that are useless for diving can also be "repurposed"

Some time ago I posted a thread "A diver's house" which gave a brief description of my nautical/dive home décor an requested others to describe their home's diving/nautical décor-- I was surprised that there were very few responses and very few with nautical/diving and décor homes or even "Man" or "Female" caves on this board.

Now it is appropriate to investigate interesting items that can be produced from old condemned SCUBA tanks;.
Steel tanks can be converted in to great sounding bells or Texas size wind chimes

Aluminum has poor tonal qualities but can be converted into a variety of useful object such as umbrella stands, waste baskets, and in our home a non tippable water dish for my water loving water bowl tipping Tibetan terrier "Lucky"

I suspect that the members of this board who represent divers from all walks of life from throughout the world have many other uses for all those decaying rusty raunchy smelly oily SCUBA cylinders...

Lets hear from you...

Sam Miller, III

I've seen aluminum tanks cut and filled with sand to be used as ash trays. I haven't been diving long enough to have any of my tanks condemned, so I haven't had the opportunity yet. Hopefully it will be a good 15 or more years from now until I start having to consider it.

That is a new one Ash trays !
I guess there are divers in this world who smoke -- It has been many years since I knew one.

Thanks for the tip -- Ash Trays !

SDM

I mounted two to the walls at the opposite ends of my shop from the compressor. A single 72 or 80 is a perfect size as an LP (<200 PSI) volume tank for small air tools. I mounted them neck-down. One has a 1/2" CGA (NPT compatible) thread and the other is US standard straight thread O-ring sealed. I took an old straight thread valve, removed the dip tube, hacksawed off the valve above the wrench flats, drilled it out, and taped it for 1/2" NPT. Works great.

Treasure Harbour Marina @ Islamorada FL
Treasure Harbor Marina | Cruisers' Net
uses an Al80 for an arrival gong. The bottom is cut off and it hangs by the valve on a rope in the alcove. Next to it hangs a wooden mallet on another rope. You announce your arrival by banging the gong until somebody nearby tells you to stop. The gong is painted by a local artisan,and as near as I can tell, it has a picture of the south end of a northbound cat painted where you are supposed to whack it with the wooden mallet.

It makes a glorious noise, BTW

DC

@kelemvor

What a great site ! Thanks for discovering it and sharing it !

I began making bells about 35 years ago -Sports Chalet a former SoCal sporting goods store had a huge pile of condemned tanks free for the taking and Kirby Morgan had a huge metal saw that could cut a tank in half in seconds --that was the beginning

The bells I made were what is known in California as Yard Art...I submerged mine in a vat of muriatic acid to remove all galvanizing (DON"T DO THIS WITH OUT EYE PROECTION) to create a rusty appearance and made various yard displays .

My wife ,whom you would never expect her to be a welder became interested in welding and enrolled in every class the college offered (she was President of the college-she received all As)

She became interested in SCUBA tanks as a décor item and began experimenting with full size SCUBA tanks as well as small thermos sized tanks the children used in the bath tub or do-boy pool when they were tots (they all began skin and SCUBA diving very young )

She used a hand grinder to remove all the galvanize and create a "interesting" surface. She then heated the tanks to excessive heat which when cooled tuned the tanks a variety of colors. next she welded a trailer hitch ball on top as a attachment point-- she then fabricated a variety of welded hangers -- all different all very unique-- all currently used in our foyer or living room-- attention getters and conversation starters

Thanks again

SAM

Last edited:
Bollards…

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 437

Back
Top Bottom