Re-purposed condemned SCUBA tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a 95cf ally fail recently, so off came the top!

The bottom became an umbrella stand (for the moment at least)

The top was filled with lead and will become a shot.

@fibrefab2

Well done !
I also have two umbrella -cane holders created from aluminum tanks
The flat bottoms ,thick walls and weight insures they will never be tipped

What is a "Shot weight ?"
Want is its purpose in relation to recreational diving ?
Why the US Diver K valve at the top ?

Just wondering ??

Keep up the good work

Sam Miller,111

@fibrefab2

Well done !
I also have two umbrella -cane holders created from aluminum tanks
The flat bottoms ,thick walls and weight insures they will never be tipped

What is a "Shot weight ?"
Want is its purpose in relation to recreational diving ?
Why the US Diver K valve at the top ?

Just wondering ??

Keep up the good work

Sam Miller,111

A "Shot Weight" is attached to one end of a rope and the other to a marker bouy, effectively called a "shot line". It is a means of providing a reference from the seabed to the surface. Rather than anchor a boat on a wreck, a shot line would be deployed on or near the wreck, to give the divers a reference when descending and ascending.
The valve on top was an old A clamp Sea Hornet valve. I had little use for it and thought it would be a novel way of attaching a shackle.

In the clip below, you will see a shot line at around 1:50, in this case a loaded weight belt was used !

Thank you for the explanation - I assumed its purpose was something like what you describe
Yet another great repurposing of SCUBA tanks
~~~~~~ Shot weights ~~~~~~

We Kalifornians use commercial Mushroom anchors-- Serves the same purpose, but does not
have the same DYI feel .

In the early days of spearfishing we often rode the anchor to the bottom -- those days are long gone

Thanks again for the three posts

SAM

20191002_083633.jpg
A "Shot Weight" is attached to one end of a rope and the other to a marker bouy, effectively called a "shot line". It is a means of providing a reference from the seabed to the surface. Rather than anchor a boat on a wreck, a shot line would be deployed on or near the wreck, to give the divers a reference when descending and ascending.
The valve on top was an old A clamp Sea Hornet valve. I had little use for it and thought it would be a novel way of attaching a shackle.

In the clip below, you will see a shot line at around 1:50, in this case a loaded weight belt was used !
Made 1 last night. Now im out of scrap tanks.

View attachment 543047
Made 1 last night. Now im out of scrap tanks.
What's the white band at the top? Can't tell if it's some kind of plastic ring or paint or some third thing.

@kelemvor
stated
"What's the white band at the top? Can't tell if it's some kind of plastic ring or paint or some third thing."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The wall of the cut aluminum SCUBA tank--- They are very thick

Aluminum SCUBA tanks have very poor tonal qualities therefore unsuitable as bells
but great as umbrella and cane receptacles.

SDM

What's the white band at the top? Can't tell if it's some kind of plastic ring or paint or some third thing.
It's just plastidip. I didn't feel like spending a lot of time grinding the cut smooth. I knocked off the rough and coated it in rubber :)

It's just plastidip. I didn't feel like spending a lot of time grinding the cut smooth. I knocked off the rough and coated it in rubber :)
Clever!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom