Re-purposed condemned SCUBA tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the thread inspired me. I went and got some condemned al80's from my LDS today. I'm going to make a ball mill for starters.

@kelemvor
Well, the thread inspired me. I went and got some condemned al80's from my LDS today. I'm going to make a ball mill for starters.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Great re purposing !
What are you going to smash, bash and grind in your ball mill?

I also have been revitalized...

I located the neighborhood sea glass tumbler. It was a joint project-I supplied the SCUBA tank, another neighbor supplied the welding of the tabs for the anchoring the front window and cutting the window from thick plastic and another supplied a roller system and the electric motor....

All that so the neighborhood wives could polish sea glass

I also recovered a number of aluminum and steel cut tanks I stashed way out of sight -out in the back of the garden

New winter projects !

Sam Miller, III

Last edited:
Darn... mine just take up space in my storage room since the local disposal company won't take dead tanks

@drbill
Darn... mine just take up space in my storage room since the local disposal company won't take dead tanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How many ?
What kind ? aluminum ? steel ?

List them and the dives will pick them up amd trot on back to the mainland with them...

Then you will suddenly and miraculously have more Storage room

sdm

So, what's a good tool for cutting aluminum tanks? Will a metal-cutting abrasive wheel work or will that overheat the aluminum? Some kind of carbide, fine-tooth wood blade? I'm thinking of making a mail box so I want nice, clean, smooth cuts.

Will a metal-cutting abrasive wheel work or will that overheat the aluminum?

SAFETY WARNING

Be very careful to use abrasive disks rated for Aluminum. The wrong ones will load up, overheat, and explode in your face.

James
<<<Note Akimbos warning -----)

Aluminum tanks have very poor tonal quality and are essentially useless for re purposing (my grand daughters terminology) as a bell.

I am using cut aluminum tanks as a waste basket, an umbrella stand (seldom needed in Cal) and a non tippable water bowl for my Tibetan Terrier who delights in turning over his water bowl.--but not any more!

I suspect you have other uses for your tanks-- don't forget to post ( I always enjoy your posts!)

Sam Miller,III

I have only used steel tanks and took my air cutting tool and my tank tumbler - just held the wheel against the tank while it turns - takes a while (and the ones I cut I did during winter so the wheel would start to freeze up so I set it on top of my barrel stove during breaks - took about 3 rounds) - but after the initial grove through the galvanization, it cut very smooth through the 1/8-3/16" steel.

So, what's a good tool for cutting aluminum tanks? Will a metal-cutting abrasive wheel work or will that overheat the aluminum? Some kind of carbide, fine-tooth wood blade? I'm thinking of making a mail box so I want nice, clean, smooth cuts.
I am planning to purchase a bandsaw with a metal cutting blade.

Although this is a good opportunity to try building a DIY waterjet...

Our local recycling plant will only accept tanks that have been cut in half. Apparently some genius set the recycled tanks outside for a while before melting them down. He didn't bother to dump the rainwater out before throwing them in. Apparently that was a bad day. So now, they only accept cut tanks. That means many dive shops in the area have lots of condemned tanks hanging around! Good for anyone who comes up with a use for the things.

Great re purposing !
What are you going to smash, bash and grind in your ball mill?
I've got several things planned. I have a large quantity of gemstones that my kids and I have mined on various trips into the smoky mountains over the years. I never got around to tumbling any of them.

Also, I've got a large quantity of brass shells that I need to clean. I tried using an ultrasonic but the one I've got just doesn't do a good job.

I was thinking of doing some fun chemistry projects with my son, too. Various ores can be crushed into powders that are otherwise fairly expensive.

Plus.. making the mill its-self should be fun.

Last edited:
Just cut it with a miter saw. Knife through butter. :wink:

20171112_121108.jpg

Wear the proper eye and skin protection. Go slow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom