Rate your LDS's

Rate the stores you regularly shop (not online) What is your overall impression?

• Product selection is satisfactory.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Product selection is unsatisfactory.

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • Prices are reasonable and competetive. I'm satisfied.

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • Prices are too high. I'm not satisfied.

Votes: 44 50.0%
  • Information provided is satisfactory.

Votes: 70 79.5%
  • Information provided is unsatisfactory.

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Services offered are satisfactory.

Votes: 72 81.8%
  • Services offered are unsatisfactory.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Customer service is good, satisfactory.

Votes: 69 78.4%
  • Customer service is poor, unsatisfactory.

Votes: 13 14.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My true LDS (only 20mins away) SUCKS! the big one. thier show room is like bed room sized and sucks, the service was crappy, etc. I went in just to look at how they were (had a feeling they sucked). My other shop, is about 45mins away, and WELL worth the drive, I've bought everything I have (not much) from them. It's hard not to spend money when I go in there, not because they are good salesman, just because they have such great service, about right prices (a wee bit high compared to like online, but online is HARD to beat, so the prices are about right for a store) and because I'm a student (not of thier shop) I get a discount on certain items, I think its mask, fins, snorkels, and wetsuits (hoods, suits, boots, gloves, etc.) Last time I was in I bought $184 of stuff (light, knife, lanyard for light, gloves, snorkel keeper, mask defog, wet suit anti-smell stuff) and they gave me 20% off the WHOLE thing, not just some of it, so I got it all for like $147. More than what I wanted to spend when I went down (went only for anti-fog and suit stuff) but I'm happy, the light will come in handy for looking around in my area, the gloves are the warmest they had to keep me warmer, and the knife is just incase I incounter one of the million+ fishing lines around here

Anyways, they are great guys, very knowlagable, the shop has like 4 PADI Course Directors, which from what I understand is QUITE a few for one shop to have, plus they have many other instructor+ people. They are very helpful, they have no problem just sitting around and talking and being helpful without the prospect of selling. The kind of people that shop there are very nice and helpfull, last time I was there I spend 20+ mins talking to a shop guy, and a cop who dives about diving, then to a dive photographer, who wrote a local book, and has photos on display in the shop. All great people, and a great shop. They've got my bussiness pretty much for life. I'm just saving my pennies for a dry suit from them for my first major item.

Ok, enough out of me, too long a post, sorry :)

Is relatively new. They only have one line of equipment (IST) but they are working on getting a second line (Dacor). They don't have a pool, pool sessions are at the local "Y". They do have a compressor, but no storage tanks yet. No Nitrox.

They do have a store front, but it's not even in a town , much less a "business district". They don't have regular store hours, so call before you go.

They are some of the nicest people you'ld ever want to meet. Two of them are professional SAR divers, the other is a Deputy Sheriff.

On trips with them, you don't have to rent any gear from them including tanks. Nitrox tank rentals cost extra though.

ERP,
Good question. With tanks there isn't much of a mark up and the cost to ship is significant more almost 15% of the cost of the tank. Also (I would have to check) I don't think you have the dealer restriction on tanks so the playing field may be a little more level. The other thing is tanks are usually shipped with the valve off and empty. That means they need a visual after shipping and before being filled. So...even if you get a deal on the tank you still need to pay for a visual inspection where if you buy it from us it might cost 20 or thirty dollars more but the visual and fill is included.

I don't know what would explain it with dry and wet suits. My guess is that they get alot more returns because of fit so in anticipation of their higher costs they charge more. That is just a guess but it makes sense.

I had the pleasure of cutting a 10 inch red rock fish free in 36 fsw Thursday morning.

I saw a line taught between two large rocks and a shiny thing on one end, which turned out to be the stringer and weights. As I got in close for a good look the fish laying on the top of the rock leaped and tried to get away but the hook was still in the mouth. He had worked himself around so many objects his movement had become limited to about a 2 foot radius.

I made every effort to hold him and remove the hook, armed only with my monofilament line cutter, alas I could only cut the line deep in the mouth. He swam away appearing very exhausted. I cut several long sections - all told about 100 ft of line. At the end I looked at my buddy ... he was applauding - I took a bow :yea: :notworthy

I have (2) steel 80's sitting at my LDS. They have been there for over two weeks awaiting new tank/valve o-rings and VIS and fill.

Apparently they passed the VIS, but they are telling me that they don't have the valve o-rings. C'MON! Any save a dive kit has HP steel tank/valve o-rings in it... how hard can it be to have these in stock..?? I am leaving today to head back over there and rip someone a new one.

Oh well...

BlueDolphin,
I would suggest care in choosing who you rip. They may be a better ripper than you and may just rip back. If you have a dive scheduled and need a tank they may loan you one of theirs. I know I would in the same situation. That is, if you don't rip them a new one.

Hmmm good point Mike. Taken.

But... it sure does not sound right. Let me ask you Mike..... have you heard that a Genesis HP valve 7/8 uses a different o-ring than any other HP tank valve?

I still have not gone down there yet..... will probably just call them and politely ask for my tanks back.... to take in somewhere else.

BlueDolphin,
I'm not shure if it is a different 0-ring. I would have to check. My wife is the 0-ring expert in the family. We have, however, several times had a tank/valve that we had trouble finding 0-rings that worked and at least once never found one that worked. You shouldn't have that problem though. If you tell me exactly what tank and valve I should be able to find out what o-ring works.

It is a Scubapro steel 80 hp tank. Valve is an "H" valve Genesis.
Hope that helps.

My LDS said that they ordered o-rings but now the ones they ordered are not the right ones (I told them what valve I have as they could not determine). They now have ordered more o-rings.

This is not the usual mom n pop dive store..... it is a large chain sporting goods store. That was probably my first mistake.

I am sure a smaller Dive only shop would have had no problem.
I am just at this point amusing myself to see how long it takes them to get it right.

However... I am getting concerned that they are going to introduce rust into my tanks..... as the fill station is litterally feet from the indoor swimming pool (very damp environment). Maybe I will get some new steel 80's out of this deal.... if they don't hurry up. I won't feel bad.... as like I said they are a large chain sporting goods store, and their hired help appear to not be able to find all bodily orifaces with both hands.

I would like to land more o-rings though.... and very much appreciate your checking it out for me.

Thanks much

Back
Top Bottom