Rate your LDS's

Rate the stores you regularly shop (not online) What is your overall impression?

• Product selection is satisfactory.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Product selection is unsatisfactory.

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • Prices are reasonable and competetive. I'm satisfied.

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • Prices are too high. I'm not satisfied.

Votes: 44 50.0%
  • Information provided is satisfactory.

Votes: 70 79.5%
  • Information provided is unsatisfactory.

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Services offered are satisfactory.

Votes: 72 81.8%
  • Services offered are unsatisfactory.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Customer service is good, satisfactory.

Votes: 69 78.4%
  • Customer service is poor, unsatisfactory.

Votes: 13 14.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The trident number is r116 for viton its v116. The Global number is 48616 the viton number is 49116. It could be they just don't deal with hp very much. It could also be that they just don't know what the're doing.

Don't let them keep the tank in a damp invironment. I would store it with a little air in it with the old o-ring to keep it dry. We also purge steel tanks to get as much moisture out as possible.

Since this thread is about rating our LDS's, and BlueDolphin has brought up a "large chain sporting goods store" In Southen California, I'm quite sure I know this store: Sports Chalet. This is a well known chain store to most divers in this area.

I'll give you my impression to illustrate what I see as the pros and cons of a large chain store.

Modern, clean, well lit, spacious, good displays, good product selection (at least for major brand items and accessories), good stock at hand, overall an attractive place to shop.

Multiple locations advantages, if something is not in stock, you may be able to find it at another branch, and go pick it up if your willing to drive a few miles; Plus all the other advantages chain stores offer.

Their prices are competetive or better than most local dive shops, specially compared to the smaller shops. They get beat by the "low price" online shops, although some of their sales can make the difference negligible or even be a better price than online.

They offer most of the standard services: rentals, air fills (no nitrox or other mixes), classes, repairs. They are not as accomodating on gear tryouts as some other shops, but like any big chain store, if your demands are reasonable and you speak to the right person, you can return or exchange just about anything.

Now its time to mention the X factor - employees and the services they provide. Keep in mind there is relatively high turnover consisting of some full time and part time labor.

The service is overall friendly and helpful, unless you walk in when some of them are watching a sports event on tv. The information and advise you get is a toss up. You may get a knowledgeable diver who knows what he is talking about and give you very good advise, or you may get the newest youngster who just got his certification and knows what a reg is and what a bc is. Did you see the period? Then again you just may get the good ole charlatan who has no right pretending to know something he knows nothing about. "If you push this button the engine starts and with this one the wings open up. Now, which color do you want?" I could'nt help it, I made the quote up, but not the part of which color do you like. I've also gotten when asking about products - they all do the same, which one you like?

When it comes to classes, do your homework about the instructor. They are a 5 star padi shop. So they passed the requirements, don't assume all instructors are good.

Same thing for repairs, they have a central location for repairs and I have heard of mixed results. In something as simple as an air fill I've have been helped by a new sales person who did'nt know what the 2400 psi with + rating meant. I explained it, but sure enough when I went to pick it up I had 2400.

Bottom line, there is no consistency in quality when it comes to service. You have to search for a good knowledgeable sales person or instructor, and they do have them. There is going to be variance in quality of service in any business, it is just more pronounced in the larger ones, specially when employee retention is not a priority.

But at what point do they go from a "modern, clean, well lit, spacious, good displays, good product selection (at least for major brand items and accessories), good stock at hand (well except an HP tank o-ring?), overall an attractive place to shop.

Multiple locations advantages, if something is not in stock, you may be able to find it at another branch, and go pick it up if your willing to drive a few miles; Plus all the other advantages chain stores offer.

Their prices are competetive or better than most local dive shops, specially compared to the smaller shops. They get beat by the "low price" online shops, although some of their sales can make the difference negligible or even be a better price than online.

They offer most of the standard services: rentals, air fills (no nitrox or other mixes), classes, repairs. They are not as accomodating on gear tryouts as some other shops, but like any big chain store, if your demands are reasonable and you speak to the right person, you can return or exchange just about anything"
.......store..... to outright dangerous.....

BlueDolphin,

Good points. No o-ring for two weeks is unforgiveable. Its probably sitting right in front of their nose, they just don't know what an o-ring looks like. Why don't you offer to help them find it or take your tanks elsewhere.

In regards to being outright dangerous, I agree anytime you have imcompetent sales people selling life support equipment, and instructors teaching life support skills, your playing with fire. I think this demonstrates that scuba diving, while being a dangerous sport, is also inherently safe with rudimentary skills and quality gear, in the short term. I'm sure in the long term the odds would catch up with most divers - possibility of something going wrong. Fortunately, I think most divers realize this, one way or another, and seek to better educate themselves. At least those of us who are not just vacation divers, the vacationers are probably saved by diving within limits and under supervision.

All I can suggest is that if you intend to become a regular customer, you try to talk to different sales people until you find one you can trust. This goes for any type of store.

I got a good laugh out of WillAbbott's response because I am certain we share the same LDS. To provide a bit of detail to "SUCKS! the big one" I would add that they just recently moved to a new, smaller location and their showroom now resembles a second rate garage sale. On top of that, they weren't able to operate their compressor in the new location and tanks must now be dropped off and picked up in two trips. The second trip to pick up the filled tanks wouldn't bother me so much if on the promised delivery day (generally a three day lag from drop off) my tanks were EVER ready. Instead, I have to make an average of four trips to get two tanks filled.

Of course all of this driving back a forth to get fills could be smoothed over by an apologetic or sympathetic attitude when I come in to find my still empty tanks sitting on the floor where I left them days before. Instead, the usual reaction to my innocent inquiry ranges anywhere from simple apathy to annoyed disbelief that I keep regularly showing up to pick up my tanks on the day they were promised to be filled. I know! I know! I really need to re-evaluate my expectations!

I was going to jump into a few choice anecdotes, but I just get all worked up thinking about it and I need to save my energy-- I'm supposed to pick up my tanks on Monday. I went in yesterday and they weren't ready yet...

crab,

After reading your and Will's post about this shop, "SUCKS! the big one", I would be leary about leaving my tanks there. One of these days you're going to go back and see "SUCKS! the big one" out of the sucking business. If you guys have a local club around, you may want to consider investing in a filling station. Just an idea.

With all the driving you do going to that shop, you probably save some gas and time going to the other shop. So close and yet so far!

Good luck Monday. I assume they also rest on week-ends.

My LDS is a great place to shop. Their prices are high but no one, including the owner, is shy about letting you know when they'll be having a sale.

We are a two LDS town. My LDS is definitly under the territory restriction. They have to carry certain brands and not others.

The staff are very knowledgable divers - several are instructors or DMs. The majority of staff are women, in fact I think there are only two men on staff.

Finding a wetsuit wasn't the ordeal I thought it would be, they had a lot of different sizes. I ended up having to buy a size larger wetsuit and have it trimmed since I'm pear shaped. They let me take the suit I wanted to a wetsuit repair shop before I purchased it to make sure it could be made to fit the way I needed it to. I paid $20.00 to have it trimmed and sealed and the shop gave me the sale price it had from two-weeks previous.

I'm very happy with my shop. In fact its fun to just drop by and browse and chat with everyone. I can't do that too often as I seem to always buy something when I'm there.

I went on their Cozumel trip in August and had a great time. They made everything very easy. They even sucessfully handled two (not dive related) emergencies. One person slipped off the dock onto an exposed reef and the other experienced congestive heart failure at 34 feet during our night dive. Good thing the group leader spoke Spanish and is an EMT. I'll travel with them again any day.

Cheers

Scuba,

One of the things I didn't mention in my other post was that my tanks almost always come back with new and interesting scratches after being filled-- this being a function of being loaded up to go to and from the undisclosed filling location. So, I am always leary about dropping them off anyway.

Speaking of getting my fills at the other (more distant) locations, there are two of them that come to mind and they are both a two hour round trip. One thing I have tried lately is getting my fills at these locations if they are on the way to the dive site. A fifteen minute detour is generally worth it. The thing I don't like about this strategy is the uncertainty of leaving for a dive with empty tanks. If, for any reason, the shop I am headed to has a down compressor, I would be one unhappy camper. Generally speaking, I like to have all of my gear ready to go (including full tanks) at least two days before I load it up and head out.

Perhaps looking into personal or group ownership of a compressor is the way to go. If I eventually get fed up enough to go down that road, I think I would just bite the bullet and get a personal one that is small enough to take to the dive site. Now you've got me thinking...

There are many questions that this survey raises and can not answer. But given that perception is reality, here are the results.

Product Selection:

Satisfactory: 57.1 %
Unsatisfactory: 42.8 %

I must say I find this somewhat surprising from my own experience, since there are more small stores than large ones. Nevertheless this shows a high level of dissatisfaction when it comes to product selection in many shops.

Prices:

Satisfactory: 46.6 %
Unsatisfactory: 53.3 %

Big surprise here for me, I expected a much larger discrepancy in favor of dissatisfaction. So many questions to ask!. In sum a large degree of realization that the prices in many shops are too high and uncompetitive. I wonder what this survey would have shown before the advent of online stores and the internet in general.

Information provided:

Satisfactory: 87.5 %
Unsatisfactory: 12.5 %

Services offered:

Satisfactory: 85.5 %
Unsatisfactory: 14.4 %

Customer service:

Satisfactory: 83.7 %
Unsatisfactory: 16.2 %

Good results for last three categories above, inline with my experiences.

I think this poll shows the strengths and weaknesses of the LDS's. It also shows the small LDS coming under increasing pressure from larger chain stores, large stores, and niche businesses. (internet based offering lower prices, more selection, and less services)

If these results can provide some indication of things to come, they may predict the trend towards a larger size shop, and a specialized niche shop, instead of the typical do it all small shop so prevalent now.

Feel free to post your interpretations.

Still waiting for my tanks. Serious.... it has been almost a month.

They said they received some o-rings delivered... but still not the right ones...lol.

What do you think....? Guess it is time to go in and see how much rust they have accumilated in my tanks (sitting next door to an indoor pool).... valves off.

Hmmmmmmm could this be for real? Is it so that Genesis tank valves are one of a kinds....? Or..... perhaps they just can't find all orifices with both hands.....?

I'd kind of like to get a brand new set of PST LP 104's (or ?)..... maybe I can pitch a fit with their corporate headquarters...... and get a really awsome Christmas present this year....lol?

Gotta love it.

Back
Top Bottom