Rabbit Island Local Divers Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MilitantMedic:
....like so umm....how deep is the drop off? Dive-able?

...didn't get the chance to do a wet recce on that side while we were there... Our tour was confined mostly to the leeward side (facing Oahu) but from the top of the "head" it was easy to see the cliffs on the windward side and the blue color next to the island was just as dark and deep as far offshore; about the same look at a few spots on the Big Island's South Point. I'd say that it was an easy 60-80ft just off the cliffs and going way deep within, oh, 100ft offshore. It was a washing machine with a good backwash from the cliffs; comparable to Haunama Bay's Witch's Brew on a bad day. The seas at the time were running maybe 4ft. The leeward side was fairly calm with rolling swells and a noticable current running down from Kaneohe.

The island is surprisingly big; almost round. The high points are all on the Oahu-side. The center is a large bowl and mostly tinder-dry grass. We walked exclusively on the rocky areas, up to the summit and along the sea-level shelf which extends all along the Oahu-side. There were just too many ground nests to walk anywhere else. And of course, most of us got a bullseyed with a bird souvenir. Man, the opihi were huge; easily 2in.+ across.

I did get to do some snorkeling at the landing beach to out maybe 100yds. (Washed off the souvenirs, too.) (The sign warning against landing is surprisingly big; it doesn't look that way from Makapuu tho'.) The water was crystal. Large rocks with mostly encrusting-type lobe coral; some hard califlower corals; no finger corals where I was. Four turtles. Don't recall there being a whole lot of fish. On the paddle back to the Makai Range pier, the bottom was easy to see; depths had to be 30-40ft.

We didn't do the nearby flat Bird Island. But a friend who used to lifeguard at Makapuu used to swim out there for some spearfishing (yep, he swam all the way out, around, and back; a stone waterman).

OK, thats it, Im buying a boat when I get back tomorrow. I gotta do that dive. Should have never sold my last one.

Wildcard:
OK, thats it, Im buying a boat when I get back tomorrow. I gotta do that dive. Should have never sold my last one.

...just watch your six for the DLNR troopers... There're a lot of good visual angles from Makapuu and Waimanalo/Lanikai and altho' you may be legal, that won't stop 'em from checking it out and maybe making life a little less pleasent.

So what are you saying... no summer crab?

This sounds like a great dive - I remember taking my boat (the one sucessful part of my 3 part boating saga) around rabbit island - it's a beautiful, though desolate island. I was amazed at how much more interesting the backside of that island is.

Hey on the boat thing - I kept mine in the water at Waianae for years, right next to Captain Bruce's first boat. It's convenient, but unless you drag out the trailer, you always have to dive the same areas. You will just never find time to go work on the thing since anythig other than routine maintenance is a pain dockside.
Much better to keep it on a trailer. My boat is in the water now but I'm getting a trailer in August so I can keep it next to the house and stop paying $300/month to keep it at a stranger's house.
Rabbit Island is a great dive. I took the last live shell I ever took diving there - a 5.25" tiger cowry. I couldn't kill them after that one.
A companion shell just a tad smaller I donated to the Waikiki Aquarium.

Cripes that big!

kidspot:
... I was amazed at how much more interesting the backside of that island is.

...wait till you get a chance at the backside of Molokai. Not great diving -- mostly big bald, boulders, and heavy surge -- but spectacular landscapes... drive-thru sea caves too...

Sounds like Hilo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom