Quick Ideas on Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

'lots of good info above.
We have never been to Aura, but we've been to the other 2 twice each.
If you want AI (and easier access to a dinner or 2 in town like we do), our vote is the Palace. The only thing the Iberostar has on it are the shorter boat rides.
For semi-inclusive without the big AI feel, Blue Angel looks like a nice option. Have fun.

don't get hung up on using the 'in-house' dive op. Most dive ops will pick you up at most hotels/resorts.

We've never stayed at either, but if I had to choose between the 2, I'd go with the Palace over Iberostar. I like the fact that it is practically in town over staying "down south".

I have stayed at the Coz Palace many times,my wife likes it and we own a time share there, great place easy walk to town, Most of the diving is south, a pleasant boat ride ...The deciding factor is how you want to dive... Relaxed and laid back, chose one of the larger boats. Get the diving done fast and back early for lunch chose a fast boat, a six pack.
When I am with my daughter diving and staying at the Palace, I dive with Scuba Club Cozumel.. Its a very short walk from the Palace, south, just passed thee dolphins and is one of the best outfits on the island..great people and big comfortable boats. The palace is good but the dive operation at SCC is set up just for that, diving. They will match you with a group that is of your experience level. You can leave your gear there,
If I want to do activities in the afternoon, then I chose a fast boat, here more experience is needed, and you should discuss the dive to make sure you are comfortable with the plan and the divers who have signed up..Opal"s dream.. is very customer focused, and picks me up where ever I am staying on the Island....I ask for Raymundo to be divemaster if he is available, one of the most experienced divers on Coz.

Wasn't the Aura/Sabor named the Wyndham until a year or so ago when Legionaire's Disease was found in the water system. They at least changed names... if not pipes!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Wasn't the Aura/Sabor named the Wyndham until a year or so ago when Legionaire's Disease was found in the water system. They at least changed names... if not pipes!

Aura, Sabor, Wyndham, Reef Club. It is just a name.

Dave, all things considered that's a rather low hit, which I don't think was called for. To be fair I don't have any great respect for where the management of what was the Wyndham / Reef Resedencias /Sabor has tried to go or has aimed the whole resort property at trying to gain it's part of the market share, especially when it comes to the Aura. That's rather old news, & has faded to black, which leaves me wondering why it's worth bringing up after all this time. From EVERYTHING I've read in the last year PLUS from talking to people staying at the Aura it's a rather nice place to stay.

Didn't they also have some significant sewer issues going on, too? Is that all good now? I haven't heard anyone complaining about that in a while.

I have stayed at the Coz Palace many times,my wife likes it and we own a time share there, great place easy walk to town, Most of the diving is south, a pleasant boat ride ...The deciding factor is how you want to dive... Relaxed and laid back, chose one of the larger boats. Get the diving done fast and back early for lunch chose a fast boat, a six pack.
That's interesting. I've had the opposite experience. Get on a cattle boat, do two short dives with a short SI, be back at 11:30 or 12:00. Get on a fast six-pack, do hour+ dives, have an hour+ surface interval, and I'm lucky to get back by 1:30 pm

I agree with Mossman. I start my dive day at 730 AM and get back closer to 130 PM. That includes a nice surface interval on a beach instead of rocking on a boat.

You have options. What dive experience do you want?

We stayed at Iberostar and dove with Dressel which we loved. I've also stayed and dived at Scuba Club Coz and several other places areound the Caribbean. We really enjoyed Iberostar Cozumel and will return again. The resort is very nice, not huge, and Dressel was a great dive operator. They have multiple boats so they divide divers into experience levels and depths. Each group has a dive guide to help make the most of the diving. If you are an expert that wants left alone, they will let you loose. If you want someone to show you the cool stuff and lead you through the swim-throughs, they have some great, friendly staff. They are closer to the best reefs and walls of any dive op which allows the boat to return to the hotel for your surface interval, or you can do just one dive per day if you want. The cheapest way to book is to prepay your dives through the web site in advance. Then you can add dives for the same discount price if you decide to do more dives. They also have a cash discount price if paid in US$ or Pesos rather than credit card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom