Cozumel Palace & Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may or may not have credits to use for diving. If yes, I’d use them. I love the Aqua Safari crew. The boats are slow but comfortable.

Dive Paradise. They are within walking distance. Their dive shop is at Hotel Cozumel Wyndham. They have pony bottles. Just let them know ahead so they can have it on the boat. They can also pick you up at the resort in the morning on the boat. They also have a office location downtown.

Salty Endeavors picks up at the Cozumel Palace pier at 8:10am and 1:40pm daily, each for 2-tanks. Enjoy the diving!

Hello,

My family and I will be staying at Cozumel Palace next February for 7 days. I searched the threads here, but there doesn't seem to be any recent posts about Cozumel Palace & dive ops?

Which dive ops would you recommend to use that would be somewhat close? Also, I'd like to bring an al19 pony with me, would this be a problem?

This trip will be our first time to Cozumel any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!
I was just at Cozumel Palace - January 5-8. I normally dive with Living Underwater. Jeremy and his crew are amazing. They only take 6-8 divers (usually AOW or quite experienced) and decide on dive sites based on the group. My favourite dives with them have been Devil’s Throat and Canterelle, His Boat is called the Jewel Fish and is fast. Stainless tanks, etc. Bottom time avg 60 minutes. The Jewel Fish used to pick me up at the CZM Palace pier but, a while ago, they started charging $25 to outside companies picking up divers.

My stepson was with me in Cozumel. He has only a few OW dives since getting his licence. Because we are members of Cozumel Palace and wanted to use credits to dive (translates into about $20 usd for a two tank, which is amazing), he wanted to go with Aqua Safari.

I had a few dives with Aqua Safari (AS) prior to this trip and said I wouldn’t go back but, there I was, on the “slow boat to China”. The dive sites are perfectly okay. Even the boat ride is okay because there are quite a few people to talk to. However, the DMs stick to themselves on the upper deck. When the dive is done, they separate themselves again and spend no time getting to talk to their divers and getting to know their level of competence, whether they are nervous, etc.

Most of the people in the group were certified years ago and hadn’t done any recent diving (like in the last 5 years!) It was a big group for a DM and a DI. The level of attention just wasn’t there. For example ….one of the guys who was certified in the 80’s and hadn’t dove, wound up not doing his safety stop for both dives - the first dive was a bit of a **** show with a strong current starting to suck a few down the wall towards the end of the dive. The dive, 22 minutes, was quickly aborted once the DM realized this. Also, contributing to that was that a few people were getting kind of panicky being low on air. I am not exaggerating when I say a guy came up with about 20#.

After a long winded rambling, not even mentioning the second dive, I would say that if you are a confident diver with a solid grasp and understanding of diving protocol, use them for a few dives because the price is amazing and you can reacquaint and perfect your buoyancy, breath, etc. Then go to one of the companies like Living Underwater, Aldora, or any of the other smaller, “boutique” shops. You will never regret it!

..... I would say that if you are a confident diver with a solid grasp and understanding of diving protocol, use them for a few dives because the price is amazing and you can reacquaint and perfect your buoyancy, breath, etc.
And if you aren't, take the refresher course and consider getting a private DM for at least the first day.

Most of the people in the group were certified years ago and hadn’t done any recent diving (like in the last 5 years!) It was a big group for a DM and a DI. The level of attention just wasn’t there. For example ….one of the guys who was certified in the 80’s and hadn’t dove, wound up not doing his safety stop for both dives - the first dive was a bit of a **** show with a strong current starting to suck a few down the wall towards the end of the dive. The dive, 22 minutes, was quickly aborted once the DM realized this. Also, contributing to that was that a few people were getting kind of panicky being low on air. I am not exaggerating when I say a guy came up with about 20#.
Totally irresponsible for Aqua Safari to allow these divers anywhere near the boat. Another reason why my family will never use AS ever again - resort credits be damned.

Thanks for the replies. I do dive several times a year, but I have not dove in currents like those found in Cozumel. Most of my diving has been in the Gulf of Mexico near Panama City, FL. The diving there is usually ends up every man for himself

I have one dive scheduled with AS. Do any of the other ops pick up from Cozumel Palace?

Thanks for the replies. I do dive several times a year, but I have not dove in currents like those found in Cozumel. Most of my diving has been in the Gulf of Mexico near Panama City, FL. The diving there is usually ends up every man for himself

I have one dive scheduled with AS. Do any of the other ops pick up from Cozumel Palace?
Many will.

I have stayed at Cozumel Palace on three occasions and dove with Aqua Safari each time. Yes, their boats are slow. However, when it comes to service, they are first rate.

I don't know if Bill Horn still runs Aqua Safari, but many years ago my dad took a DCI hit while we were diving with them. The boat crew managed the situation well. And Bill was there at the clinic every time my dad entered and exited the chamber (over the course of the next week following the incident). As such they have earned my trust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom