questions about vaccines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its easy for people to 'recommend' something, particularly when they are not paying for it. The CDC recommends the typhoid vaccine. For me to get it where I am at is roughly $100 (health department price). I am on the fence with this one, and leaning towards not getting it. What say you?

I'm going to Roatan this summer, personally, I will be skipping he Typhoid vaccine, a personal decision and based on perceived risk with eating habits

Its easy for people to 'recommend' something, particularly when they are not paying for it. The CDC recommends the typhoid vaccine. For me to get it where I am at is roughly $100 (health department price). I am on the fence with this one, and leaning towards not getting it. What say you?

I can only tell what I have done. This will be our 5th trip to Roatan and both Roxanne and I have never gotten any shots.
However I AM NOT A DOCTOR NOR DID I SLEEP AT MOTEL 8

I took Malarone when I went to Honduras. No one else I went with took anything. I didn't get any side effects and I chose that one based on the lists of interactions and side effects of all the different anti-malarial drugs.
I found that normal DEET spray did not work against sand flies and thick cream (eg: watkins 28.5% DEET lotion) was excellent

I can only tell what I have done. This will be our 5th trip to Roatan and both Roxanne and I have never gotten any shots.
However I AM NOT A DOCTOR NOR DID I SLEEP AT MOTEL 8

If you slept at a holiday in express then you for sure would have been the authority.....LOL

Before our past trips to Roatan we consulted a travel medicine physician and received vaccines for Typhoid and Hepatitis A and we took anti-malarial medication before, during, and after the vacations. We tolerated the vaccines and medications well and without any problems.

We also took food and water precautions, especially when outside the resort, and used repellent against mosquitos and sand fleas.

I know that sounds like a lot but we try to follow our doctor's advice and the CDC's recommendations. We go on vacation to have fun, not to get sick if we can avoid it.

Of course, there are no guarantees that you won't get sick anywhere in the world - including your own back yard.

Last edited:
I've been shot up with all kinds of stuff, especially when I was little n in the military and getting deployed ( 5 years ago). I think I'm good as far hepatitis. It's just the 2 year span for typhoid. But if I'm not going to the mainland and only drink bottle water....... aaarghhh. It's a toss up. When I checked coverage with my insurance company I seriously asked them if they would rather pay for the vaccine or the treatment if I got sick. Lol. Naturally they don't control that but it doesn't make sense!

After reading up on the CDC site and talking to the doctor, Jennifer and I decided to skip vaccines. The risk of side effects outweighed the risk of infection in our minds. We're going to stick with things like DEET and bottled water.

I'm going to be blunt here. I think avoiding vaccines is just a stupid way to get sick or die. I've had friends which had far reaching consequences monetarily & healthwise simply because they took the chance. A friend of a friend even died.

Why roll the dice? I previously got my Hepatitis A/B shots. I always make sure I'm up to date on Typhoid & I take Malarone to prevent Malaria. I also got tested to confirm whether I still had antibodies for all the routine vaccinations & good thing I did, cause I needed a measles booster. (Surprise! Sometimes, you do need boosters as adults.)

I also use chemical-based mosquito repellent because while I am extremely eco-friendly, dengue & other mosquito-based illnesses are no joke.

The only common travel vaccine I have so far not needed to take is for Japanese Encephalitis because the areas and/or the timing make it unnecessary. (Japanese Encephalitis isn't prevalent in Honduras.)

It makes no sense to me not to take the CDC recommended vaccines.

Is $100 (or $250 or even more) worth it if you get seriously ill for weeks or even months? If you lose your job cause you can't work? Or if you die?

Last edited:
I'm going to be blunt here. I think avoiding vaccines is just a stupid way to get sick or die. I've had friends which had far reaching consequences monetarily & healthwise simply because they took the chance. A friend of a friend even died.

Why roll the dice? I previously got my Hepatitis A/B shots. I always make sure I'm up to date on Typhoid & I take Malarone to prevent Malaria. I also got tested to confirm whether I still had antibodies for all the routine vaccinations & good thing I did, cause I needed a measles booster. (Surprise! Sometimes, you do need boosters as adults.)

I also use chemical-based mosquito repellent because while I am extremely eco-friendly, dengue & other mosquito-based illnesses are no joke...It makes no sense to me not to take the CDC recommended vaccines. Is $100 worth it if you get seriously ill for weeks or even months? If you lose your job cause you can't work? Or if you die?

Well said!

When I hear someone say something like "I'll take my chances" with preventable infectious diseases I can hardly believe my ears - it's just not worth it to take that kind of risk IMO.

Check with your local public health department, they may be able to offer some of the vaccines free or at a reduced cost - or at least without the expense of a visit to the doctor.

Last edited:
DEET is an effective insect repellant and I know I will bring some of my own, but be careful with it. I have witnessed high strength DEET (100%) melt rubber and plastics, so be careful with it around your dive gear. I am not sure at what level of dilution it becomes safe around rubber and plastics. So all I can really say is be careful with what you touch after you apply your DEET.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom