questions about vaccines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

urbaneve71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
do you think there will be any vaccines that will be need for this trip

Tetanus up to date & Hep A & B. You can get all of these viruses in the US as well, so having the vaccines is a plus all the way around.

Malaria is a possibility in the Bay Islands, but the risk is really low. The malarial prophylaxis is not tolerated that well by some people; I would personally not take it for a trip to Roatan, but that's just me.

thanks guys -- my pharmacist brought it p when i was telling him i was traveling to honduras

seems like everything is in order -- im good to go

If you do decide to take antimalarials with you, avoid Mefloquine (Lariam). Can have some side affects that are contraindicated for diving.

good to know --- thanks

The risk of malaria in Honduras, including Roatan, is considered moderate. Risk categories are high, moderate, low, and very low. There is no drug resistance in Honduras, so there are several alternatives available for malaria prophylaxis

I took Malarone for about 10 days with no ill effects. The small biting bugs flying around at sunset are more likely to be Sand Flies - they'll raise a bump but I don't think they carry anything. Something with Deet in it works pretty well to keep them off.

Actually the sand flies can carry a protozoan parasite called leishmaniasis. Contracting it typically results in skin lesions that continue to grown instead of heal and in rare cases can cause additional internal organ problems. There is no vaccine for this though. You just have to watch for skin lesions after traveling to the tropics.

Actually the sand flies can carry a protozoan parasite called leishmaniasis. Contracting it typically results in skin lesions that continue to grown instead of heal and in rare cases can cause additional internal organ problems. There is no vaccine for this though. You just have to watch for skin lesions after traveling to the tropics.
DEET containing repellant

Back
Top Bottom