First Chikungunya Vaccine Lands Conditional FDA Approval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
From an article at MedPageToday. Thought this might be of interest, since chikungunya is a risk in the Caribbean and can be quite debilitating. While vacation against it sounds great, this may be a case where paying attention to the numbers is wise.

If I understand correctly, it was tested as a single injection and at 28 days post-vaccination 98.9% had neutralizing antibody levels shown to be protective. While that doesn't tell us how effective it'll be after 6 months, a year, etc..., it sound promising.

Here's the fly in the ointment for me.

"In trials, severe chikungunya-like side effects occurred in 1.6% of the individuals receiving the vaccine, including two hospitalizations, and some recipients had reactions of this sort lasting a month or more."

If your odds of getting chikungunya are less than 1.6%, given a trip or two per year to the tropics in areas where it's a known risk, does getting the vaccination make sense?

I then wonder, if granted full approval in the future, where it'll be practical to get it. Is this going to be like getting vaccinated for yellow fever, which seems to require going out of one's way to find and secure it (I have not been vaccinated against yellow fever)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom