Question AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alvin Slovinsky

Contributor
Reaction score
I would appreciate some advice from other divers I’m taking my Advanced open water course this spring. As one of the speciality courses I can use a Drysuit but I’m not certified in one yet, I have talked to the Instructor who said if I get pool time beforehand and know the emergency procedures I can use it for the 5 dives. The question I have is with not having much experience in a drysuit and using it for an AOW course am I setting myself up for failure. Like for instance buoyancy, trim, more weights required due to the drysuit. Would I be better off doing my AOW course in my wetsuit where I’m comfortable than in my drysuit which is new to me. I have already discussed on this site the question on if you need to be certified or not since there is no requirement on you for it. I’ll look forward hearing others opinions on what your thoughts are on doing it in a wetsuit or a drysuit. Thank you in advance for any information or your opinion on this question.

I would use the wetsuit. Adding gear that you're not comfortable with adds complexity to a class where, presumably, you are also adding new skills.

I struggled for quite a while with buoyancy and trim in my drysuit, compounded by a so-so off the rack fit. My custom was easy to adjust to, but I'm sure a lot of that came from experience as well.

I would use the wetsuit. Adding gear that you're not comfortable with adds complexity to a class where, presumably, you are also adding new skills.

I struggled for quite a while with buoyancy and trim in my drysuit, compounded by a so-so off the rack fit. My custom was easy to adjust to, but I'm sure a lot of that came from experience as well.
I appreciate your advise and the reason why with the drysuit being new to me it might offer up some challenges on my course the last thing I want to do is not be confident in doing the course.

I agree to use the wetsuit for AOW then do the drysuit course (or get some help from an experienced person). If you use the wetsuit I wouldn't do it now if you're in Sanford, MB.......

I agree to use the wetsuit for AOW then do the drysuit course (or get some help from an experienced person). If you use the wetsuit I wouldn't do it now if you're in Sanford, MB.......
Thanks for the advice I probably will not be diving till June West Hawk lake is still a block of ice but that will change soon.

Thanks for the advice I probably will not be diving till June West Hawk lake is still a block of ice but that will change soon.
I hear yah. I lived in Wpg. a couple of years and long time resident of Thompson.

I used to teach drysuit use with the OWSD course when I used to teach in NE and NY no problem. One or two pool sessions, one classroom session and a dive or two with the drysuit in openwater. I'd integrate the drysuit course with the AOW and do everything in a drysuit, no big deal. It maybe more "challanging" but it isn't rocket science or climbing mt. Everest here. If you are going to be using drysuit later after your AOW course, train with the drysuit now and gain more experience using it while doing other skills in the AOW course. This is what training is all about.

Why not just do a drysuit course first and delay the AOW course if you're still not comfortable with it? It sounds like a drysuit is appropriate exposure protection for where you live.

He posted in a different thread he didn’t want to do the drysuit class. Was going to figure it out from the chapter In the Padi AOW book and some experienced friends. Would rather freeze his butt off during AOW, I guess. 🙄🤦‍♀️

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom