Question AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My thinking is like @BoltSnap. The purpose of an AOW course is not to give you a series of hard skills, it is to open your eyes to a wider world of diving. If you can open your eyes to drysuit diving and get 5 dives in a drysuit while working on other skills then absolutely jump at it, especially if you live in a colder climate where drysuit diving is the norm. AOW is for expanding experience, you are not going to fail it, so maximize the exploration while you have an instructor there to help coach you.

My thinking is like @BoltSnap. The purpose of an AOW course is not to give you a series of hard skills, it is to open your eyes to a wider world of diving. If you can open your eyes to drysuit diving and get 5 dives in a drysuit while working on other skills then absolutely jump at it, especially if you live in a colder climate where drysuit diving is the norm. AOW is for expanding experience, you are not going to fail it, so maximize the exploration while you have an instructor there to help coach you.

Totally agree. I did drysuit with OW. If totally new divers can do that, then OP should be able to do his AOW with it.

I'm in the use the wet suit camp. Although diving dry isn't rocket science it does give your instructor another piece of gear to drill you on during the dives. IMO a course is not necessary lots of us old divers started using dry suits before there were classes and managed.

You should get some pool time with the dry suit before you use in OW but again a lot of us did learn outside a pool.

Good luck whatever you do.

He posted in a different thread he didn’t want to do the drysuit class. Was going to figure it out from the chapter In the Padi AOW book and some experienced friends. Would rather freeze his butt off during AOW, I guess. 🙄🤦‍♀️

Yeah I thought we already went down this road.. I swear there's been an echo around here lately, LOL.

OP, do the drysuit during AOW. Both classes are "try me" or "experience" dives, they're not "I'll be perfect when I'm done this class" ... and Advanced shouldn't really be in the title. I personally had 9 dives and AOW... do you think I was advanced anything? I was just with less spending $$, lol.. I'm still not advanced anything.

After either, both, or neither class you'll still need practice.. hell we all do.

I'm in the use the wet cold suit camp.

There, fixed it for ya!

Yeah I thought we already went down this road.. I swear there's been an echo around here lately, LOL.

OP, do the drysuit during AOW. Both classes are "try me" or "experience" dives, they're not "I'll be perfect when I'm done this class" ... and Advanced shouldn't really be in the title. I personally had 9 dives and AOW... do you think I was advanced anything? I was just with less spending $$, lol.. I'm still not advanced anything.

After either, both, or neither class you'll still need practice.. hell we all do.
Don't get me started on how useless and what a waste of time and money AWO can be, you'll get me in trouble!

Don't get me started on how useless and what a waste of time and money AWO can be, you'll get me in trouble!

Throw the drysuit course in there and I'm right there with ya!

Throw the drysuit course in there and I'm right there with ya!
I did in my 1st post! Having help learning the dry suit is nice but to pay someone for that help at least to me is a waste. I'd rather spend that money on a P-valve for the dry suit, money better spent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom