Question AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mean you’ll be an old man yelling and shaking his fist at AOW instead of a cloud? 😂🤣 Grizzled old diver: “In my day, sonny…”
Instead of the kids running thru my yard.

You mean wise, mature, experienced and cool divers, right?
Right, that's now, when I learned how to use a dry suit I was only cool. :cool:

I used to teach drysuit use with the OWSD course when I used to teach in NE and NY no problem. One or two pool sessions, one classroom session and a dive or two with the drysuit in openwater. I'd integrate the drysuit course with the AOW and do everything in a drysuit, no big deal. It maybe more "challanging" but it isn't rocket science or climbing mt. Everest here. If you are going to be using drysuit later after your AOW course, train with the drysuit now and gain more experience using it while doing other skills in the AOW course. This is what training is all about.
Thank you for your thoughts on this on the question I just want to be sure that wearing the Drysuit won’t cause me numerous issues while I’m doing the AOW course. I realize that it’s a new piece of equipment that I have to get use to.

He posted in a different thread he didn’t want to do the drysuit class. Was going to figure it out from the chapter In the Padi AOW book and some experienced friends. Would rather freeze his butt off during AOW, I guess. 🙄🤦‍♀️
Yes they true I did post a question on Scuba board asking for divers opinions on if taking the Drysuit course was required to dive in one. The other part of the question I neglected to ask was what effects will I deal with well wearing one like buoyancy, trim, more weight and use the Drysuit as a BCD as well. It’s all safety concerns I take into consideration not just dive in.

Yes they true I did post a question on Scuba board asking for divers opinions on if taking the Drysuit course was required to dive in one. The other part of the question I neglected to ask was what effects will I deal with well wearing one like buoyancy, trim, more weight and use the Drysuit as a BCD as well. It’s all safety concerns I take into consideration not just dive in.

You’re worrying at the issue like a dog with a bone. Take the class.

I used to teach drysuit use with the OWSD course when I used to teach in NE and NY no problem. One or two pool sessions, one classroom session and a dive or two with the drysuit in openwater. I'd integrate the drysuit course with the AOW and do everything in a drysuit, no big deal. It maybe more "challanging" but it isn't rocket science or climbing mt. Everest here. If you are going to be using drysuit later after your AOW course, train with the drysuit now and gain more experience using it while doing other skills in the AOW course. This is what training is all about.
Thank you for your opinion If I should wear a Drysuit while doing a AOW course It’s a 2 day course with 5 dives involved so it’s not a big deal getting cold if wearing it may cause issues during the course. I will still be wearing my Drysuit after the course is over and will gain experience as well we never stop learning this is the reason why I asked the question to get a good feedback from others.

Let me retort;
the drysuit course isn’t “necessary” but if it’s causing you this much consternation it’s probably a good idea to take it. If you find a well fitting suit it’s much easier to get good with one, neoprene dives a lot like a wetsuit, so long as you aren’t over weighted it’s pretty easy to master.

AOW is all you need to do most diving anywhere on earth, it doesn’t have deep meaning but it does show that you took diving a little more serious than some resort pool session.

I use my suit, both neoprene and shell for buoyancy and weight myself to avoid excessive squeeze, I find it works best for me give both ways a shot but being a new diver you may find using the b/c easier. It’s supposed to be fun don’t make it not fun by worrying to much.

Let me retort;
the drysuit course isn’t “necessary” but if it’s causing you this much consternation it’s probably a good idea to take it. If you find a well fitting suit it’s much easier to get good with one, neoprene dives a lot like a wetsuit, so long as you aren’t over weighted it’s pretty easy to master.

AOW is all you need to do most diving anywhere on earth, it doesn’t have deep meaning but it does show that you took diving a little more serious than some resort pool session.

I use my suit, both neoprene and shell for buoyancy and weight myself to avoid excessive squeeze, I find it works best for me give both ways a shot but being a new diver you may find using the b/c easier. It’s supposed to be fun don’t make it not fun by worrying to much.
Thank you for your opinion on this question when I first posted a question if a person should take the course I never considered the other issues that I should of considered. I may be over thinking things but it’s good to hear others opinions and why. I value everyone’s opinion it comes down to my choice in the end.

I would like to thank everyone that responded to my question and offered their advice many of you have already taken the AOW and have dived in drysuits that can speak from experience that’s how new divers learn from others and asking question. Thank you all once again. 👍

Back
Top Bottom