Checkout Dives in Oversized Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchased a very cheap drysuit for my checkout dives (and had leaks repaired etc.), with the plan of getting a custom made one after OW certification. Unable to provide pics right now but it feels fairly oversized, mainly in length on the legs. Maybe 3-4 inches too long with 200g undersuit and base layers on etc. Just wanting a couple opinions on if this will be diveable for these 4 dives, I know my buoyancy/trim/comfortability will be compromised but as long as it's relatively safe (under the watch of an instructor) and doable then I'll cope with it. Don't really have the option to go non-drysuit as in the UK and surface temps at my LDS are around 7C/44F.

Attached pic is of a somewhat similar fit, (WITHOUT ANY LAYERS UNDERNEATH/AIR VENTED), maybe slightly less oversized.

View attachment 823861
I think I would splash it in a pool or confined water first. Consider using some ankle weights for more control. This will at least give you an idea on what to expect. Good luck.

Learning proper use of a dry suit is an entirely separate skill set.

The task loading and extra gear you need to stay buoyant I would say not to use a dry suit until you have at least 20-30 dives logged!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom