Checkout Dives in Oversized Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FJUK1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I purchased a very cheap drysuit for my checkout dives (and had leaks repaired etc.), with the plan of getting a custom made one after OW certification. Unable to provide pics right now but it feels fairly oversized, mainly in length on the legs. Maybe 3-4 inches too long with 200g undersuit and base layers on etc. Just wanting a couple opinions on if this will be diveable for these 4 dives, I know my buoyancy/trim/comfortability will be compromised but as long as it's relatively safe (under the watch of an instructor) and doable then I'll cope with it. Don't really have the option to go non-drysuit as in the UK and surface temps at my LDS are around 7C/44F.

Attached pic is of a somewhat similar fit, (WITHOUT ANY LAYERS UNDERNEATH/AIR VENTED), maybe slightly less oversized.

1706484165827.png

I would dive it. Doesn't look too big. You really won't know how big / small a drysuit is until you wear a made to measure suit (or right size) and know what that feels like.

OW is not where you learn to dive. It's like getting your license to drive. Great, you past the test, now you need a LOT of practice. So I say go for it, but no matter what you'll probably be a mess. We all were.

Good luck!!

Don't worry about it. You won't be able to tell the difference being you will be all over the place no matter the fit. Go have fun.

Looks plenty usable to me. I suggest you keep as little air in the suit as needed to loft the undergarments. Use the BCD as... well, the primary Buoyancy Control Device.

The legs look baggy. Expect some floaty feet issues. Gives you a chance to learn how things are when they are not perfect.

Dive it. Knowing that a made to measure will make things better later.

Did you ask your instructor about it? If my students want to do checkouts in a drysuit then by agency standards they have to complete the drysuit training as well which includes pool practice before checkout dives. That would be a great way for you to get it figured out in a safe environment.
You should be a capable diver before you hit open water (capable of maintaining neutral buoyancy, proper trim and good propulsion techniques), anyone saying otherwise was jipped in training or is jipping you.

It does look big, I don’t know I’d want to dive that without gaiters, that‘d help control excess air in your feet/lower leg

Looks close enough and it will let you appreciate the custom fit all the more.

one thing I had found with a to big in the legs suit, squeeze will cause some creasing and folding of the excess material which can cause some adverse pressure points, on me those led to some weird leg cramps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom