Trip Report St. Lucia - 2 weeks, 4 shops, 3 locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GingerSnap80

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Long time lurker, first time reporter…
Here’s a rundown of our trip to St. Lucia a couple weeks ago…

Me: AOW, ~170 dives, in it for reefs, fish, wrecks
Husband: AOW ~60 dives new and likes it all
Us: aging but able-bodied NY’ers who are comfortable walking longer distances and go out of our way to shop and stay at locally owned places when possible.

Picking South/North/Middle? TL;DR -
All 4 shops will take you to same/similar places so it’s about what you want to experience on land before/after diving, how long a boat ride you want every morning, and how long you have to stay there to still enjoy a couple of repeats if they happen (we were there for 2 weeks and enjoyed it all). Longest ride we took was 55mins. Shortest was about 15mins.

We rented a car and yes, the driving can be as nuts as they say it is. Rough roads, UK side of the road and car, winding blind turns, very very steep hills which feel scarier when it rains, and sometimes aggressive drivers who make it feel worse. But it’s totally worth it IMHO.

Diving overall: fairly easy but rich! Encountered barely any current overall. Only had one trip out that had waves making it hard to get in/out of the boat. It was a super amazing trip for my less-experienced husband to finally get really comfortable with the rhythm of diving, gear prep, manage expectations, experience different kinds of boats, etc. I’m more seasoned and was enthralled with the diversity of colors, corals, TONS of fish, and the 2 wrecks are excellent beginner spots with enough cool stuff to keep me more than happy.

Soufiere - the South:
We stayed at the Green Fig Resort whuch has TONS of stairs. Duh it’s on a mountain. But yeah - for my aging knees…I’m glad we only were there for 4 days. Food was fine but got old after 2 days. Steep walk into town gives you more options. They suggest Action Adventure Divers but they don’t book for them and AA never responded to any outreach pre-trip or looked open when we walked by the shop several times.

We dove with Scuba St. Lucia which is the main shop for Anse Chastenet and Jade Mountain. Check in was a bit disorganized, but we were taken care of once on the (covered, comfortable, efficient) boat and the crew was great. we have most of our own equipment but I had lost my computer before the trip and had to rent one…their last one that worked at all. No other place even offered them to rent

The North: Rodney Bay & Gros Islet
The drive was crazy but doable - just take your time, pull of the road for aggressive folks, etc. took about 1hr 45mins

We stayed at an Airbnb on a hill in Gros Islet which was lovely. We drove into Rodney Bay to dive with Dive St. Lucia/Scuba Steve’s - they are combined now and operate off a dock connected to Harmony Marina Suites. Shop was ok. Crew and DMs were fine - not really top notch customer service or concierge diving I would write home about but we were fine and I felt safe enough. Several times the diving took us back to Soufiere area which was fine because there are so many nice spots but felt weird having uprooted ourselves just to go back but still very cool.

They were unable to accommodate us for an extra day we wanted to add on so we used Dive Fair Helen which is about 35mins drive from Rodney Bat but totally worth it. They are located at JJ’s Paradise now - not Marigot Bay anymore, which didn’t matter to us at all. The crew was warmer and friendlier and the full lunch (chicken, Mac and cheese, lentil stew, bread, fruit, delicious cookies we are going to try and replicate) was delicious. Crew was great, positive, and warm - proactive but not annoying when supporting a diverse group of different levels (3rd dive post cert) abilities and age (elderly grandma who spoke only Spanish), and disabilities (one diver had only one arm) and did it without being condescending or too much. Highly recommend Dive Fair Helen even if it’s not swanky. Had a very solid time and wished we had more dives with then.

The…middle? Ti Kaye:
Ended our trip for my husband’s bday at Ti Kaye resort. Fanciest of all our stays by far. Only dove 1 day but they were great. Rental gear seemed fine - nothing wrong that your precheck shouldn’t catch and they had backups for everything if any issues arose. Really loved our time with them and the resort was stunning, rooms lovely, food delicious, service and staff top notch.

Yay!

Long time lurker, first time reporter…
Here’s a rundown of our trip to St. Lucia a couple weeks ago…

Me: AOW, ~170 dives, in it for reefs, fish, wrecks
Husband: AOW ~60 dives new and likes it all
Us: aging but able-bodied NY’ers who are comfortable walking longer distances and go out of our way to shop and stay at locally owned places when possible.

Picking South/North/Middle? TL;DR -
All 4 shops will take you to same/similar places so it’s about what you want to experience on land before/after diving, how long a boat ride you want every morning, and how long you have to stay there to still enjoy a couple of repeats if they happen (we were there for 2 weeks and enjoyed it all). Longest ride we took was 55mins. Shortest was about 15mins.

We rented a car and yes, the driving can be as nuts as they say it is. Rough roads, UK side of the road and car, winding blind turns, very very steep hills which feel scarier when it rains, and sometimes aggressive drivers who make it feel worse. But it’s totally worth it IMHO.

Diving overall: fairly easy but rich! Encountered barely any current overall. Only had one trip out that had waves making it hard to get in/out of the boat. It was a super amazing trip for my less-experienced husband to finally get really comfortable with the rhythm of diving, gear prep, manage expectations, experience different kinds of boats, etc. I’m more seasoned and was enthralled with the diversity of colors, corals, TONS of fish, and the 2 wrecks are excellent beginner spots with enough cool stuff to keep me more than happy.

Soufiere - the South:
We stayed at the Green Fig Resort whuch has TONS of stairs. Duh it’s on a mountain. But yeah - for my aging knees…I’m glad we only were there for 4 days. Food was fine but got old after 2 days. Steep walk into town gives you more options. They suggest Action Adventure Divers but they don’t book for them and AA never responded to any outreach pre-trip or looked open when we walked by the shop several times.

We dove with Scuba St. Lucia which is the main shop for Anse Chastenet and Jade Mountain. Check in was a bit disorganized, but we were taken care of once on the (covered, comfortable, efficient) boat and the crew was great. we have most of our own equipment but I had lost my computer before the trip and had to rent one…their last one that worked at all. No other place even offered them to rent

The North: Rodney Bay & Gros Islet
The drive was crazy but doable - just take your time, pull of the road for aggressive folks, etc. took about 1hr 45mins

We stayed at an Airbnb on a hill in Gros Islet which was lovely. We drove into Rodney Bay to dive with Dive St. Lucia/Scuba Steve’s - they are combined now and operate off a dock connected to Harmony Marina Suites. Shop was ok. Crew and DMs were fine - not really top notch customer service or concierge diving I would write home about but we were fine and I felt safe enough. Several times the diving took us back to Soufiere area which was fine because there are so many nice spots but felt weird having uprooted ourselves just to go back but still very cool.

They were unable to accommodate us for an extra day we wanted to add on so we used Dive Fair Helen which is about 35mins drive from Rodney Bat but totally worth it. They are located at JJ’s Paradise now - not Marigot Bay anymore, which didn’t matter to us at all. The crew was warmer and friendlier and the full lunch (chicken, Mac and cheese, lentil stew, bread, fruit, delicious cookies we are going to try and replicate) was delicious. Crew was great, positive, and warm - proactive but not annoying when supporting a diverse group of different levels (3rd dive post cert) abilities and age (elderly grandma who spoke only Spanish), and disabilities (one diver had only one arm) and did it without being condescending or too much. Highly recommend Dive Fair Helen even if it’s not swanky. Had a very solid time and wished we had more dives with then.

The…middle? Ti Kaye:
Ended our trip for my husband’s bday at Ti Kaye resort. Fanciest of all our stays by far. Only dove 1 day but they were great. Rental gear seemed fine - nothing wrong that your precheck shouldn’t catch and they had backups for everything if any issues arose. Really loved our time with them and the resort was stunning, rooms lovely, food delicious, service and staff top notch.

Yay!
Great report. Thanks. A question, what made you pick this island to visit?

Thanks!

It was a direct flight from NYC, the flight wasn’t a million dollars even in high season, it was reported as being beautiful beginner-friendly diving for my husband and interesting enough to keep me happy, and I was able to find accommodation that was relatively reasonable.

I would totally go back with more friends and stay in multi-bedroom Airbnbs which would cut the cost significantly. I’m not saying it’s cheap - the island is expensive because it’s an island but being from NYC, the prices weren’t a huge shock to my system.

Thanks for the report. Did DFH have several pick ups once you left the dock or were you able to dive right away? I've read other reviews (SB and Trip Advisor) saying they stopped several times on the way out and back which significantly extended the day.

Thanks for the report. Did DFH have several pick ups once you left the dock or were you able to dive right away? I've read other reviews (SB and Trip Advisor) saying they stopped several times on the way out and back which significantly extended the day.
DFH was the only one that didn’t make any stops I believe. Scuba Steve’s had the most one day of 2 stops. I don’t actually feel like they extended the day all that much at all.

Thanks for this. We have booked flights to travel at the end of October. I’ve read on here that Scuba Steve’s/DSL are a ‘descend together ascend together’ type of operation. Was the same true of DFH? I quite like a mooch at the end to extend the dive if allowed.

We recently dived with Don Fosters in Grand Cayman (and going back next week) and would ideally like to find a similar approach in St Lucia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom