Question about my new steel tank (new to me).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you read it right you would have seen it was a spelling mistake not a grammar mistake.:dork2:

Let me rewrite:

If you had read it correctly, you would have noticed that it was a grammar error.

Your grammar usage is at second or third grade level. Tsk tsk.

There is, however banked NITROX.

Thanks for the correction. You are absolutely right. Banked Nitrox. "Preblended definition: blended in advance of another process." Yeah, close but no cigar.

There is no industry standard but the industry sells tanks that are advertised as Nitrox Ready to 40%.

Description for XS Scuba 80 Cubic Foot HP Steel Cylinder
nitrox-grid.png
Air & Nitrox Compatible

• This high pressure steel tank is compatible with any regulator
  • Includes PRO Valve-Standard Yoke and DIN Compatible
  • Nitrox Ready up to 40% (the recreational limits of nitrox)
What I have written is a thumbnail explanation. Ask your VIS inspector for more details.

I did have a disclaimer in my message.

@Scared Silly, have you and Tridacna thought about writing a book for scuba nomenclature? He has also corrected grammar on other threads. This idea may be a money maker for both of you! The Construction industry and Maritime industry have similar publications.

I think you are mixing up with my old/first tank the LP72 with my second LP85 on the topic of Nitrox.

I did make that mistake. Sorry!

However, I think you can still put "banked" nitrox in that tank. You CAN NOT put 100% O² for partial pressure blending. Or, does the industry ignore the Grade "E" standard of no more than 22% O² and fill with "banked" nitrox anyway? I will ask my LDS about that. Good question.

My LDS of record always used the term "safe air". I know, that is probably a local colloquialism that is not up to industry standard. I always told them where my tank had been filled between partial pressure blending. They knew who had "safe air" or not. According to them, all of the boats and shops that I got "banked" or NuVair nitrox from used "safe air", up and down the state of California. Mexican border to the Oregon boarder. I also got air fills in my O² clean tank from shops that did not bank or sell nitrox (no PP blending).

I'll have to ask them what their definition of "safe air" is. Is it Grade "E"....?

Thanks for the nice responses,
m

Mark,

I'll have to ask them what their definition of "safe air" is. Is it Grade "E"....?
From the blog post I linked earlier:
Q: What is hyper-clean air and can I fill my non O2 clean cylinder with it?

A: "Hyper-clean" air is actually not a standard and no one can have their air tested to this standard. The correct term is Oxygen Compatible Air, or Modified Grade E air.
This is consistent with what I learned in my PADI EANx course, as well as @Scared Silly 's usage on page 10 of this thread. In particular, it is NOT Grade E air, aka regular-old-air. I would be curious if the folks at your LDS use terminology consistent with this.

My LDS of record always used the term "safe air". I know, that is probably a local colloquialism that is not up to industry standard. I always told them where my tank had been filled between partial pressure blending. They knew who had "safe air" or not. According to them, all of the boats and shops that I got "banked" or NuVair nitrox from used "safe air", up and down the state of California. Mexican border to the Oregon boarder. I also got air fills in my O² clean tank from shops that did not bank or sell nitrox (no PP blending).

In the CA Bay Area I have heard "O2 clean air", "O2 compatible air", "nitrox compatible air", "hyper clean air", and probably more variations that I cannot recall. These all refer to oxygen compatible air, NOT Grade E air.

By the way, I did find this illuminating article from California Diver that is good reading. At the very end, it discusses some particulars of Grade E air vs Oxygen Compatible air:

Scuba compressors should produce Grade E air at output. That is, analysis needs to show no more than the following levels of chief contaminates (there are others but we will only concern ourselves with these few):
Carbon Monoxide ≤ 10 parts per million (ppm)
Hydrocarbon contaminates ≤ 5 milligrams per cubic meter mg/m3
Carbon Dioxide < 1000 ppm

As clean as Grade E air is, it is not sufficient for Oxygen Compatible Air (OCA). Through a process called hyper-filtration additional amounts of impurities can be eliminated. When Grade E air is “Hyper-filtered” it is called modified Grade E and is then suitable for mixing with high percentage oxygen gas. The main differences are:
Carbon Monoxide ≤ 2 ppm
Hydrocarbon contaminates ≤ 0.1 mg/m3
Carbon Dioxide < 500 ppm

The dramatically lower tolerance for hydrocarbons is what I learned about in my EANx course. It's my understanding that these hydrocarbons are also what we have been discussing in terms of lubricants, type of compressor, etc. I had never heard about the lower tolerances for CO or CO2, this is new information! Although I do note that the differences here are much smaller at 5x for CO and 2x for CO2, vs 50x for hydrocarbons, the less crap in there the better if you ask me.

There is no industry standard but the industry sells tanks that are advertised as Nitrox Ready to 40%.

Description for XS Scuba 80 Cubic Foot HP Steel Cylinder
View attachment 575061 Air & Nitrox Compatible

• This high pressure steel tank is compatible with any regulator
  • Includes PRO Valve-Standard Yoke and DIN Compatible
  • Nitrox Ready up to 40% (the recreational limits of nitrox)

Not sure where you pulled that from but from their website:

Oxygen cleaned for use with up to 40% pre-blended Nitrox

Face palm on the "pre-blended" part by XS Scuba. But the real point is that they note the cylinder is oxygen cleaned.

Let me rewrite:

If you had read it correctly, you would have noticed that it was a grammar error.

Your grammar usage is at second or third grade level. Tsk tsk.

But I graduated in fourth grade. lol

Your not much better.
" Your grammar usage is at second or third grade level. Tsk tsk."
Should be... Your grammar usage is at the second or third-grade level. Tsk tsk.

But I graduated in fourth grade. lol

Your not much better.
" Your grammar usage is at second or third grade level. Tsk tsk."
Should be... Your grammar usage is at the second or third-grade level. Tsk tsk.

“Your” not much better. Quit while you’re still behind. Fourth grade? Agreed.

Where's the fun in that? I pulled you so easily, you fell for it Hook, Line, and Sinker. LMAO ! ! ! :dork2:

Alright dog, you have me. Let’s call it a Corona-Tie. :cuddles:

Back
Top Bottom