Question about my new steel tank (new to me).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've worked with all manner of HP valves in my life time. I was formerly trained in their use by Electric Boat and one of the things was to never keep the valve opened on the seat, because it caused seat wear. My diving instructor years before that instructed us the same thing for the same reason. I even back my outside faucets a bit, my shut off valve for the bathroom backed off a bit. There's no downside unless you let some monkey tamper with your gear.
I do the same thing....habit born out of decades of hearing that advice for any type of screw valve (not just scuba tanks). Ball valves are a different story but that's by design.

I hope the Local Dive Shop (LDS) didn't charge you for the air refill. It's their fault for not checking the burst valve and allowing it leak.

I do the same thing....habit born out of decades of hearing that advice for any type of screw valve (not just scuba tanks). Ball valves are a different story but that's by design.

Ball valves throttle gate valves, don't so much. A half opened gate valve will allow a lot more flow thru than a half opened throttle valve of equal size.

She did. I didn't know it was the burst valve which leaks, she didn't neither. I checked my gauge right after she charged again and told her it's a little lowed. She thought it was my gauge which was bad. I am not happy that she didn't find out about the leak during the VIP... but this is the only shop near me anyway.

I hope the Local Dive Shop (LDS) didn't charge you for the air refill. It's their fault for not checking the burst valve and allowing it leak.

Most shops have a pressure gauge for them to check the filled tanks. Next time when you get a fill, have them check the pressure in front of you. If it's a little low, it doesn't take long to take to the shop to top it off. Where are you located? What's the name of your shop?

Buy an airfill card, it's a bit cheaper per fill. My LDS, which is 30-45mins away, charges $8/tank fill. If you buy a 10 fill card, it's only $5.

Re: Nitrox After my Basic Open Water cert, we took our Nitrox class right afterwards. It's pretty easy, you just need to do more math equations to plan your dive and understand some physics. it was fun. We would take turns breathing the leftover Nitrox in the tanks on the way home from our dive. We must have looked strange to passing cars. :)

We would take turns breathing the leftover Nitrox in the tanks on the way home from our dive. We must have looked strange to passing cars. :)

I'M SURE YOU DID LOOK STRANGE, BUT WHAT WAS THE PURPOSE FOR THIS?o_O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom