Question about Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've dived in Cozumel several times, but I have a new question.

I will be celebrating my honeymoon in Cozumel with my new wife. I am an experienced diver (~500 dives), but she is a neophyte. I have all my gear, but she will be needing to rent all the big gear (she has MFS already). We will probably be diving with Aqua Safari since they are connected to our hotel.

For gear rentals, I know that Cozumel probably has decent stuff, considering their volume and location. I'm considering renting gear at a shop where I used to do DM work, but that would probably cost at least twice as much (8 days of rental time + bag fees both ways). We are probably going to dive only three or four days while on the island, so we won't need the gear the entire time.

So, the question is, is it worth it to drag the rental gear all the way from home? I trust the service crew at my shop with my life, but is it worth the extra cost? I've seen newbies on dive boats in CZM and the gear they get seems to be decent, though very basic.

My basic plan would be this:

Buy a good 2-3mm wetsuit locally, bring that along with her MFS setup, then rent reg and BCD on CZM. For me, bring all my gear and pay one large bag fee rather than two.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Shawn

If you need to rent anyway, might as well rent it in Cozumel and save the hassle. I certainly wouldn't rent gear locally and then drag it to Mexico. If you get a piece of gear that doesn't look right, just ask for something else in better condition.

One statement you made sort of caught my eye.

"I know that Cozumel probably has decent stuff, considering their volume and location."

I certainly wouldn't assume that every dive shop has "decent stuff" just because they are located in CZ. Again, just closely inspect what you rent and ask for a replacement if you don't like what they provide.

I have stayed at Cozumel Palace and dove with Aqua Safari a couple of times. If you need rental gear, you should have no problem getting what you need from them. I definitely wouldn't rent from the LDS and then deal with the hassle and expense of checking additional bags.

Maybe the best thing to do is ask you soon to be wife what she is comfortable with? I have never rented gear in Cozumel so I can't comment on what they have there. I can say asking the new wife what she would like might be of value. :D

Sorry for the thread steal, I've been thinking about going there I'm diving drysuit only now. Would a Whites Fusion with thin clothing work?

OK, I am confused.

You have over 500 dives and you don't have the gear to outfit another diver? :wink:

I notice you said she has MFS and wetsuit only. If she does not have her own computer, make sure Aqua Safari will rent them; not every shop in Cozumel does. (I've rented BC/Regs from two different shops- 1 included a computer as standard on regs. I have my own computer so I didn't check if the other shop rented them, but at least one shop I contacted before I got my computer replied with "the divemaster will have one".)

Also, in Cozumel, it is really easy to dive with other ops, you don't have to dive with the house op. I haven't used Aqua Safari, and you may find they are the best choice for you, but you might want to look into if other ops are a better fit, either for services offered or for price.

Dive with Martin gives you all the gear for free with the price of the dives. They don't have computers though.

I'd rent from the LDS. I've seen some real crap in rental gear throughout the Caribbean.
Do you have a relationship with the LDS? If so, tell them what you'd pay to rent it in cozumel and ask if they would match that price. If the gear is just going to sit and gatther dust I'd assume they'd be willing to match the price. If they won't you aren't out anything for asking.

Back
Top Bottom