Question What Dive Op to use in Cozumel for a newer diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
A

alexthsong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be going to Cozumel sometime around June, at which point I will have taken a nitrox course, and weather permitting, I will have my Advanced Open Water certification. My question is which dive shop I should choose. I would prefer something more personal (no cattle boats), and be able to dive my computer (From what I've been told I have fairly decent air management at depth). From looking at other threads it seems Scuba Tony, Aldora, Tres Pelicanos, Dive Palancar, and Blue Angel seem popular.

Edit: I'm also looking at buying and bringing my own gear, so rinse stations are a must.

We got certified in Cozumel through Scuba Tony. It was a great dive op for starting out. They are very good in getting divers comfortable in the water practicing safe diving practices. We used them for several years. I don't know if it is still their policy to limit dive times, and ascending as a group but that is when we shifted over to Bottom Time Divers. We dive our computers, and groups are never more than 6 divers. I am a stickler for generous surface intervals which BTD is always strict in enforcing.
Why did you switch from Scuba Tony to Bottom Time Divers? Just outgrew them?

Tres Pelicanos will definitely let you dive your own tank. Fast boats (that also means back roll entry) that depart from the marina so you're back at your hotel by ~1pm. And if you're doing multiple days they'll take care of your gear. The DM's are pretty lax in my experience, meaning they won't ask your air level or try and keep you close to them. It's not difficult to get separated from the group in current if you aren't paying attention. Namely when the group stays behind to look at something and you don't see it and continue drifting.

Aldora is great also but slightly more expensive, but comes with the added benefit of larger tanks included in the price. So overall dive times are longer. Their DM's (depending on who you get) will check your air and keep you close to the group. They rinse and set up your gear as well

From looking at other posts, Dressel Divers would be an example of a bunch of people on a big boat and you are locked in a group, so if someone blows (ha) through all their air in 30 mins, you have to go up too.
You think Blue Angel is good? What did you like about them?
I am a Blue Angel "regular"; I have been diving with them at least once a year since they moved into the space next to the hotel of the same name. Their DM's are great and they have a choice between small boats and their larger one. I have never felt rushed by them to end a dive before I am ready to ascend; most of the time divers with not so good air management are sent up in buddy pairs to be picked up or to hang with the DM's buoy until the rest of the group is done, although on more advanced dives or when the current is really ripping the DM may ask that we ascend as a group.

I highly recommend Aldora for any advanced diver that doesn't want to risk getting suck with a group of inexperienced divers. The slightly higher cost is more than made up for by the HP 100 steel tanks (you can ask for 117s & 120s as well). Bottom times range from 60-90 mins, the boats are small, & they will accommodate almost any request.

...no cattle boats...

Yeah cattle boats suck. You get to lay out on the roof in the warm sun and nap on the way to the dive site. If it's raining, you have to suffer under the big roof over your head. During the dive interval, you have a stable boat, lots of room to spread out, and there's even a toilet if you need one. On our "cattle boat" we can stay down as long as have air, and every group shoots their own SMB when they're ready to ascend. It sucks.

The small fast boats are better. While on vacation you can HURRY UP to the dive site, getting sprayed from the bow wave the entire way. If it's raining, then you have the luxury of sitting in the open in the rain, too. Your kidneys get pounded and, if you're lucky, you can piss blood during the dive. Then during the dive interval you get to bob up and down on a small boat with no room. But don't fear, the edge of the boat is nearby so it's easy to vomit overboard. I much prefer the "personal" fast boats.

I use Bottom time divers and have done so for many years and more when the DM/owner of BTD was working for Blue Bubble (gone/sold) and BlueXtSea. He deals with all ranges of experience. We always dive our computer and air and you will have AL 80's or AL100's if you ask. He has an 8 pack boat with new engine and water and snacks. It will be back roll entry as most of the smaller boats will be.
He will wash and rinse your gear unless you want to take it with you every day to wherever you stay. You mentioned a rinsing station so either you take it with you to your hotel/lodging and rinse there or you let the dive op do it. I can't tell where you expect the rinsing station to be. I won't be on the boat. He can arrange a camera rinsing container tho. I let him wash my gear but I take my reg, mask and camera back with me.

Yeah cattle boats suck. You get to lay out on the roof in the warm sun and nap on the way to the dive site. If it's raining, you have to suffer under the big roof over your head. During the dive interval, you have a stable boat, lots of room to spread out, and there's even a toilet if you need one. On our "cattle boat" we can stay down as long as have air, and every group shoots their own SMB when they're ready to ascend. It sucks.

The small fast boats are better. While on vacation you can HURRY UP to the dive site, getting sprayed from the bow wave the entire way. If it's raining, then you have the luxury of sitting in the open in the rain, too. Your kidneys get pounded and, if you're lucky, you can piss blood during the dive. Then during the dive interval you get to bob up and down on a small boat with no room. But don't fear, the edge of the boat is nearby so it's easy to vomit overboard. I much prefer the "personal" fast boats.
I don't have anything against larger or slower boats, I just don't like the feeling of being "just a number" or in a large group of people with only 1 dive master. I think of a "cattle boat" more in terms of treatment of divers, one person said that on "cattle boats" (not big boats in general) people have been left behind.
Doc Harry where do you recommend?

Why did you switch from Scuba Tony to Bottom Time Divers? Just outgrew them?
Basically, yes. As my air consumption improved and dive times longer, I begrudgingly surfaced with >1500 psi with everybody else. However, things may have changed since then. One trip report indicated that divers were able to dive their computer.

I have been on a cattle boat in other destinations. Sure the boat is more comfortable, and many have a head. However once underwater, topside creature comforts were menacing, i.e. you find a seahorse to photograph, when suddenly over a dozen other dives pummel the poor creature to get a look or photograph. A swim through, pray that you in the front half of the group, otherwise be prepared for zero vis. Surfacing only to be bobbing up and down on the surface, waiting for everyone else to board the boat feels like an eternity in rough seas.

I highly recommend Aldora for any advanced diver that doesn't want to risk getting suck with a group of inexperienced divers. The slightly higher cost is more than made up for by the HP 100 steel tanks (you can ask for 117s & 120s as well). Bottom times range from 60-90 mins, the boats are small, & they will accommodate almost any request.
The OP's question was for dive op recommendations for a new diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom