PST’s hot dip cylinders and others on the market?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, relating to metal fatigue there’s no appreciable difference between PST and Worthington structurally? Is this a fare statement? If so, It seems I was under the false impression that PST’s are structurally superior. May I have a little more guidance on this subject please?
Thank.
Bat

I think only time will tell. Initial reports of Worthington have been all positive, however.

PST seems to contain more iron inside... And, their exterior is more shinny. The first W-tanks weren't shinny that much and got better.

W-tanks has a relatively short history of HP tanks compated to PST, so we need to have more review to judge it. So far so good though. It is hard to say because it is a monopolizing market at this moment.

The Company is established in Busan Science Industrial Complex of Busan-Jinhae Free Economic Zone(BJFEZ) under a Joint Venture with the world leading technology and facility relocated to produce mass quantities of the high durability and super light gas cylinder systems for special use of the new energy, medical service, scuba system and aircrafts as well as industrial gases from the most innovated and economic processing of the Billet piercing and Cold and Hot Deep Drawn and Ironing from high strength steels with or without fiberglass reinforced.

The Company also offers Plants for Storage, Transportation and Refueling of Alternative New Energy, and Construction & operation of the Cylinder manufacturing & Retest plants on the turn-key basis. The Company is committed to supply of the high technology and quality cylinders from year 2007 for the world distinguished customers.

batmanusa:
So, relating to metal fatigue there’s no appreciable difference between PST and Worthington structurally?
They aren't the same. The Worthington X7-100 tanks are more negative than the PST E7-100 were, by 1.5 lbs.

John

I know I’m preaching to the choir, but for me this SB is a great study group. Having said that I have a question, John B says the Worthington X7-100 tanks are more negative than the PST E7-100 were, by 1.5 lbs. And Hoosier says. PST seems to contain more iron inside and, their exterior is more shinny. I’m not a metallurgical engineer but, doesn’t more iron produce weaker steel. As I understand it steel was iron that had most of the impurities removed. Steel should have a consistent concentration of carbon throughout (0.5 percent to 1.5 percent). Impurities can weaken steel tremendously and must be eliminated. Now, a range of metals might be alloyed with the steel to create different properties I think.
Is this so? Also, addressing the shinny exterior, I read that a galvanized coating appearance may either be bright and shiny resulting from the presence of an outer layer of pure zinc, or duller, matte gray as the result of the coating's inter-metallic layers being exposed but performance is not affected.
So what do you think? Sounds like glass half empty, glass half full. Price be the tiebreaker?
Thanks
Bat

batmanusa:
So what do you think? Sounds like glass half empty, glass half full. Price be the tiebreaker?
Thanks
Bat

I don't think there's a race so there can't be a tiebreaker. PSTs are simply non-existant unless you can find some used. Worthingtons are in current production and are readily available. There simply is no competition between the two and thus no winner/loser. You can buy Worthingtons today, you can't buy PSTs. Now I think competition for HDG cylinders would be great, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Divin'Hoosier:
I don't think there's a race so there can't be a tiebreaker. PSTs are simply non-existant unless you can find some used. Worthingtons are in current production and are readily available. There simply is no competition between the two and thus no winner/loser. You can buy Worthingtons today, you can't buy PSTs. Now I think competition for HDG cylinders would be great, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
I was admittedly not paying attention when PST fell out of production, but I don't understand why folks are so skeptical of PST re-entering the HDG market and of resulting market competition. As noted above, PST is listed as en exhibitor at DEMA and their description reads:
[SIZE=-1]Company Name: [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]PST Scuba [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Booth: [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]601 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Description: [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]PST Scuba manufactures steel diving cylinders for sport, recreational and technical divers. Visit Booth 601 for the groundbreaking E-Series, the industry's first and best variable fill pressure steel tanks. PST Scuba tanks feature a unique hot dipped galvanized exterior, designed for durability. See the advantages of PST�s E7-80! [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Web Site: [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]www.pstscuba.com [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Product Categories: [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Cylinders & Valves[/SIZE]
I also note that their web site (which admittedly shows a 2006 date) lists a full line of HP and LP cylinders. It seems that their presence at DEMA and on-line catalog are consistent with their renetry into the US market. But there must be a reason folks are skeptical . . .

This is interesting --The other day in the shop there was a guy asking about PST tanks, as well. He seemed to know a lot about them, technical information --but said he could not find them and wanted to know if we had any information.

A pretty quick Internet search turns up a lot of data, of course,

I did some research for him and passed it along. When I'm ad DEMA, I plan to drop by the PST booth and see what they have to say.

Apparently there is still a lot of inerest in PST.

Jeff

batmanusa:
I know I’m preaching to the choir, but for me this SB is a great study group. Having said that I have a question, John B says the Worthington X7-100 tanks are more negative than the PST E7-100 were, by 1.5 lbs.

To me that is fairly irrelevant. A cylinder that goes positive such as an AL-80 is usually liability since you need to add weight just to sink it. Once a cylinder has properties that keep it from ever bing positive it becomes more a matter of removing belt weight since the weight is built into the cylinder. One may prefer a more negative cylinder but in the end it makes you no lighter on your feet and the change in lead is slight in the case of E series vs. X series. If you really want negative go buy a Faber.
batmanusa:
And Hoosier says. PST seems to contain more iron inside and, their exterior is more shinny. I’m not a metallurgical engineer but, doesn’t more iron produce weaker steel. As I understand it steel was iron that had most of the impurities removed. Steel should have a consistent concentration of carbon throughout (0.5 percent to 1.5 percent). Impurities can weaken steel tremendously and must be eliminated. Now, a range of metals might be alloyed with the steel to create different properties I think.[/SIZE][/FONT]
I agree with your metallurgy. My interpretation of Hoosiers comment was that he was using the word iron in place of steel stating that the X series was heavier. In other words the X series consisted of more material.
batmanusa:
Is this so? Also, addressing the shinny exterior, I read that a galvanized coating appearance may either be bright and shiny resulting from the presence of an outer layer of pure zinc, or duller, matte gray as the result of the coating's inter-metallic layers being exposed but performance is not affected.
I'm sure it's all proprietary and we will never know. However if you use a PST cylinder it will become about as dull as dull can be. If you see a shiny one it's getting scant use. The bright probably holds up longer in freshwater.
batmanusa:
Thanks
Bat
As products I agree and would buy either. With PST the glass is broken right now leaving one show in town for HDG HP scuba cylinders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom