PST’s hot dip cylinders and others on the market?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClamBake:
I was admittedly not paying attention when PST fell out of production, but I don't understand why folks are so skeptical of PST re-entering the HDG market and of resulting market competition.

The PST operation that launched the E Series was a very troubled company. The business had dwindled to a few niches including scuba. They were embroiled in financial and environmental difficulties and the city wanted their blighted facility relocated in the worst way. They were also painfully under capacity for the E series cylinder. You can find old posts of divers waiting many months for the LDS to get their allotment or have it delayed further. This led to repeated announcements of a move and new capacity to meet the market.

This ultimately led to the factory shutting down and some employees snapping up rights to the remaining business and intellectual property. The plans went from being a complete new facility to the cylinders being partially produced offshore with domestic finishing operations. Even this plan has taken much longer than anticipated and has yet to deliver.

As much as most owners love the product a lot of them are tired of hearing about them always being a day late and a dollar short. Meanwhile Worthington came out with the X series that filled the void and they seem to be delivering all the volume needed. PST will now return to a market with a "me-to" product and no unsatisfied volume. I predict some significant price competition if they make it to market, if they hit the streets with product.

That's my observation.
Pete

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/INDENT]
I also note that their web site (which admittedly shows a 2006 date) lists a full line of HP and LP cylinders. It seems that their presence at DEMA and on-line catalog are consistent with their renetry into the US market. But there must be a reason folks are skeptical . . .[/QUOTE]
If I remember right PST had a "News Release" last year saying they would be at DEMA in 2006 at the same booth#. I wasn't at DEMA and I don't think PST was either.

Exactly. Our skepticism is driven my marketing hype that just hasn't come to reality. So anytime we hear something new about PST going back into production, everyone yawns. We'd love to see it happen, but enough with the talk. Either go back into production and begin selling product or don't, but enough of the talk.

Thanks for the insight on PST. I may make it down to DEMA and will be curious as to whether PST makes an appearance. If they are, I assume they will have to be prepared to answer the tough questions and take orders from buyers.

PST was in fact in attendance at last years DEMA. With tanks on display that had been manufactured over a year earlier(via the hydo dates), and talking about their "return". I suspect this year will be a repeat of last. While PST had been around since 1902 or something like that, we can't really give historical credit to the new compay, if they ever make it to market. It will be in effect, a brand new multi-national effort. I've never heard if they have been successful in their request to manufacture partially over seas and then finish or complete in the US. I suspect this is an effort to undertake the dirtier less environmental aspects over seas and then still be able to label the cylinder as a US manufactured product. If that does turn out to be the case, I imagine most will greet the product with some real skeptisism. Meanwhile, Worthington has been in existance for 50 years and seems to be supplying a good quality product in the required quantities.

Currently, there is no choice, unless you're purchasing used. I would be happy to see some competition for the HDG market. I can't figure out for the life of me why Faber has not undertaken this.

It better be "Cash & Carry".:wink:

spectrum:
To me that is fairly irrelevant. A cylinder that goes positive such as an AL-80 is usually liability since you need to add weight just to sink it. Once a cylinder has properties that keep it from ever bing positive it becomes more a matter of removing belt weight since the weight is built into the cylinder. One may prefer a more negative cylinder but in the end it makes you no lighter on your feet and the change in lead is slight in the case of E series vs. X series. If you really want negative go buy a Faber.
Neither the PST E7-100s nor the W X7-100s go positive. The E7-100s are -1 lb empty where the X7-100s are -2.5 lb empty. Different problem from an AL80.

Having tried them, I'd rather have LP85s than the W X7-100s, despite Fabers lack of a galvanized fish. YMMV.

John

John_B:
Neither the PST E7-100s nor the W X7-100s go positive. The E7-100s are -1 lb empty where the X7-100s are -2.5 lb empty. Different problem from an AL80.

Having tried them, I'd rather have LP85s than the W X7-100s, despite Fabers lack of a galvanized fish. YMMV.

John
So why not a Worthington LP85? No need to give up the galv. coating.

fweber:
I would be happy to see some competition for the HDG market. I can't figure out for the life of me why Faber has not undertaken this.

I got a call from the US Faber rep on another topic, and I asked why no galvanized Fabers. He said Faber has determined that the hot process amounts to an additional heat treat to the alloy. The concern was the metallurgy of the steel underneath. That's a concern for quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom