PST rumour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharpenu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was recently sold a PST 100 for 30% off (I paid $245). I took it to an LDS in my area to get it O2 cleaned. (The LDS I bought it from did not do O2 cleaning, nor do they sell EANx)

The first shop told me they will not inspect PST. I got the feeling that he just didn't want to inspect a tank from another shop.

I went to my regular LDS (closer to home) and they told me something about PST being in bankruptcy, and that their DOT exemption is set to expire next year, and that every tank made by PST will no longer be able to legally be hydro'ed, visualed, or filled after the exemption expires. He told me all PST's will be useless after next year.

I find that hard to believe, and if true, it sucks- I have 8 tanks made by PST. Almost $3,000 worth of tanks become instantly useless? If true, it will be cheaper for me to buy my own compressor and fill the tanks myself than replace them.

Anyone else heard this?

I'm holding faith in their new venture...just picked up another E7-100 last night.

The LDS shops in question are either ignorant of the DOT exemption rules, or they are trying to sell you brand new worthingtons. The first shop that refused to VIP PST tanks that are currently in-hydro with a valid exemption are particularly stupid and/or corrupt, you don't want to ever go back there. You might be able to educate the second shop:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=115437

Pressed Steel Cylinders exemption is still valid, it will expire late next year and it's anybody's guess what will happen then.

Leadking:
Pressed Steel Cylinders exemption is still valid, it will expire late next year and it's anybody's guess what will happen then.

it isn't a guess. read the thread that i posted a link to. people will be able to get personal renewals of the exemption for their cylinders. there will then be nothing legally stopping a hydro testing facility or a dive shop from hydro'ing, VIP'ing and filling PST cylinders even after the PST exemption expires. there may be a lot of hydro testing facilities and LDSes that refuse to service the cylinders out of fear and/or ignorance, but that can only help you to separate out the idiots that you shouldn't do business with.

Thanks Pug, I thought the exemption only applied to the newer tanks that have the duel valve not the older ones with the din and the 5300lbs(?) test pressure.

Aquanautchuck:
Thanks Pug, I thought the exemption only applied to the newer tanks that have the duel valve not the older ones with the din and the 5300lbs(?) test pressure.

The older 3500 pounders are good to go, no exemptions.

Back
Top Bottom