O2 Cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
GLiebmann

GLiebmann

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a question and please excuse my ignorance. I purchased two fairly new Al80s. I had them visually inspected and asked that they were to be O2 cleaned and filled with NOX32. When I picked them up my shop told me that they didnt need to O2 clean them because they used a Membrane system for filling and at that percentage it was not necessary. They wanted to save me money which I appreciate. If they are filled somewhere else, however, that does not use this type of system its a different story.

My question is after a year of 32% fills, what would be the harm if I had another shop that did not use a Membrane system for filling? Is it really necessary to have them O2 cleaned or at this point would it be okay? I assume that if there would be an issue it would be in the filling process. Of course I dont want to put anybody at risk by neglecting to identify that they were not cleaned. Any advice would be appreciated.

More fuel on the fire :gas:(pun intended) I happened to come across this from Luxifer. They require O2 cleaning for anything over 23.5% O2. I am not saying I agree with them just providing the link to their FAQ.

Of course they do. All manufacturers say that. That is the blanket stance of the CGA I believe.

Of course they do. All manufacturers say that. That is the blanket stance of the CGA I believe.
Yep, that is derived from CGA. Don't tell them about continuous mixing lol

Because O2 is unpredictable and like almost everyone near even a "tiny" O2 fire, they died. There is no such thing as a little "pffft" of hydrocarbons combusting in a 100% o2 environment even at 1bar nevermind that a scuba tank itself is a very large mass of fuel at 200bar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom