Lessons Inspection Stickers and Jupiter Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may have repeated this story here before but I still find it amusing, even today. Years ago, I had my PSI-PCI visual inspection stickers refused by a local dive shop because "I could have just bought the stickers off the internet.." Even though they had my PSI inspector number, I was current and I even worked for another dive operator at the time.

I didn't really want argue with them as it was their shop so it was their rules but I did of course tell the owner that I thought his rule was stupid. I was ready to leave when the owner finally recanted and filled my tanks but not before giving me a stern lecture about how he doesn't honor visual stickers he doesn't recognize but he would make this one and only exception, once. Honestly I wasn't even making a big deal about it but the owner kept wanting to lecture and rant about "internet stickers."

At the time I had renewed my PSI credentials at least 3 times (so ~9 years). I wasn't exactly brand new or ill-informed. Interestingly enough, there was actually another local dive shop that solely used PSI-PCI stickers for all their own visuals. I actually had to make sure that it was my inspector number on the tanks and not the other dive shop because I used both.

The other funny part of the story is I noticed the dive shop's own visual stickers on their rental tanks had punched out that they performed a Visual Plus (visual eddy current test) on all of their steel cylinders. I just found it funny because if they had taken any formal visual inspection training they would probably have realized that you don't perform a visual eddy current test on steel cylinders. Why should I trust them to do a visual when they can't even get that right? I am pretty sure the dive shop employee was just blindly punching out the "visual plus" on every visual they did without understanding what that meant.

The irony is I now do buy my visual stickers off "the Internet." I stopped renewing my PSI-PCI credentials because I don't work for a dive shop anymore and I had done that TDI-SDI course, which at the time (I understand they've since changed this) did not require renewals. I made my own visual stickers template because I felt slightly dishonest in using PSI-PCI stickers (even though I have stacks of them) since I am no longer current.

All of this was one of the many reasons I bought my own compressor. I know this is not feasible or cost effective for the majority of people. I also realize it doesn't help me when traveling but thankfully most dive shops in North Florida don't have silly visual sticker rules. I always make sure to travel with a stack of visual stickers when I go to Florida Keys or somewhere outside of cave country.

How much for these bad boys?

1702427372151.png

How much for these bad boys?

View attachment 815467
I would accept that, it is honest and you have all of the months. They are even in the correct order.
If you ever get bored, look at most shop vis stickers, it is comical how many are missing months or have them out of order.

...it is comical how many are missing months or have them out of order.
Back when I was a tank filler, a tank came in from another shop with their VIP sticker.
Every month and year was 'hole-punched-out' except they left one mth&yr alone to read.
As a filler, we called it a 'sniff' test. If the looked funny then it smelled funny, and I would just tell the walk-in customer to go back to the sticker shop to have it filled due to our shop's insurance policy safety rules.

You can get certified through IANTD and get stickers for life.

Also, shops seem to favor PSI certs. I was explicitly asked for one. Sounds like there is some lobbying going on.

Yeah those renewals are clownshoes. Outside of a hydro VIPs are an industry thing, so any renewal is a made up term length. Do tanks have major changes every three years?
"Do tanks have major changes every three years?"
The answer is NO !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom