Promoting diving beyond divers skill levels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k ellis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
If you witnessed a veteran diver telling Open water divers who were fairly new to diving (Within a few months and say less then 20 dives) to go out and dive the Oriskany and that they really should not worry about going deep what would you do? Please consider the following and think of what you would do. This is not to say this has happened to me but only a conversational thread.

The veteran diver encourages the following to divers (Who are not prepared for the skill level or not certified in the type of diving)

1. To go below 130 feet so they could see the flight deck of the Oriskany.
2. To encourage divers to dive beyond 60 feet in poor visibility and less then 20 dives.
3. Telling them to stay close (After either of the first 2) and they would share lights or other equipment since the newer diver did not come prepared to go to such dives.
4. You witnessed the veteran diver encouraging new divers to dive in extremely poor conditions with less then perhaps one foot of visibility.

No particular reason to ask but since as a divemaster I feel obligated to at least warn newer divers of the increased risk they are taking how would every one else react?

Last edited:
Just curious but if you witnessed a veteran diver telling Open water divers who were fairly new to diving (Within a few months and say less then 20 dives) to go out and dive the Oriskany and that they really should not worry about going deep what would you do? Please consider the following and think of what you would do.

The veteran diver encourages the following to divers (Who are not prepared for the skill level or not certified in the type of diving)

2. To encourage divers to dive beyond 60 feet in poor visibility and less then 20 dives.
3. Telling them to stay close (After either of the first 2) and they would share lights or other equipment since the newer diver did not come prepared to go to such dives.
4. You witnessed the veteran diver encouraging new divers to dive in extremely poor conditions with less then perhaps one foot of visibility.
5. to dive in water that is never cool enough to kill of bacteria (Such as a power plant lake used to cool reactors and such) so you know for sure the bacteria is possibly extremely high.

No particular reason to ask but since as a divemaster I feel obligated to at least warn newer divers of the increased risk they are taking how would every one else react?

Well I would certainly not want people diving in WARM WATER! especially if you know for sure that there is a possibility that it could be bad for them..:shakehead:

5. to dive in water that is never cool enough to kill of bacteria (Such as a power plant lake used to cool reactors and such) so you know for sure the bacteria is possibly extremely high.

The PADI Nuclear Waste Diver! Comes with free glow in the dark t-shirt.

k ellis, you should see the virus, fecal, and bacteria counts in the west coast pacific.

Assuming I over heard all this info you've presented, I would just speak out loud and say that it's probably not a good or safe idea and let the new diver decide whether they want to initiate a conversation from there.
If I know the person I'd be more vocal about it and would just go on and explain why it's bad idea.

It's easier to not sound like you're undermining a person if you know them IMO. They'll be less defensive and aggressive that way and more open to a healthy polite debate.

Just curious but if you witnessed a veteran diver telling Open water divers who were fairly new to diving (Within a few months and say less then 20 dives) to go out and dive the Oriskany and that they really should not worry about going deep what would you do? Please consider the following and think of what you would do.

If instructors waited for better than 1' vis nobody would get ceritifed in RI!
I'm just a lowly AWO diver so what could I say? Maybe ask everyone for the names of their next of kin?

Diving beyond the recreational limit of 130 feet for anyone without training or at least actual substantial deep diving experience isn't a good idea.

I don't think any certification agency would condone the diving deeper than 130' which is the generally accepted recreational dive limit.

I would let the "veteran diver" make his speech, and then candidly tell the new divers, "Hey... That guy is giving bad advice. While PADI recommends that you as basic open water divers maintain a 60' depth 'limit', you are certified to dive to 130' within appropriate conditions, and when your experience and comfort permits. My advice to you would be to gradually make deeper dives to 80, 90, 100, and so on until you're a competent deep diver; before you even consider moving on to going beyond 130 feet. I would also recommend you consider deep diver training, and if diving beyond the recreational limits interests you, maybe even consider an introduction to technical diving"

I would tell the new divers that there are people that promote cock fights, dog fights, daredevil stunts like a guy with a motorcycle jumping over a bunch of busses, and basically, there are people that get a kick out of creating a potential Death Struggle, and in watching the event.....I would then tell him it sounds like this veteran diver is THAT kind of a person, and that he must see the new divers as a bunch of roosters .....

i would try to get the newer divers away so i could talk to them privately - i have no desire to make the veteran diver puff up and make it a pissing contest - and tell them that was bad advice and why i think it isn't a dive they're up for.

but in the end, i guess it's their choice. :(

I would say something right then and there. In front of the veteran diver. I would explain how what he was telling them was extremely dangerous. I would have no problem in this. I would also explain why it was dangerous and that anyone promoting diving like that was simply divin on borrowed time.

Back
Top Bottom