Product Design - Scuba Equipment/Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetsuit heaters. Not those little heat packs that just heat your kidneys, but something that could radiate heat throughout the suit, maybe built into an undergarment. Sure you can go drysuit, but so many become semi-dry (leaks) which defeats the purpose.
They have that already. It's called a bladder. :eyebrow:

thanks guys for all these ideas!

the comm's system seems interesting, as does the sms type device!
wetsuit heaters exist already, but also a worth looking into

The safety idea i mentioned was concerning divers trapped/in difficulty underwater, and uses a flare gun type device to inflate a disc which floats to the surface. once it reaches the surface it emits a gps/SOS signal, allowing relevant authorites to perform resuce. However, the majority of diving accidents occur at the surface, so may be a bit pointless. basically a EPIRB which can be deployed underwater, and floats to surface.

all ideas welcome guys! keep em commin please!
big thanks!

How about existing kit that people struggle with?

what do you find a pain to use? what do you think could be improved within existing dive gear?

anything from assembling your gear, using it above/below surface, taking it apart?
thanks!

what do you find a pain to use? what do you think could be improved within existing dive gear?

My LDS..don't think you can help them though. :D

My feeling is that the clunky tank is something we will not see in the distant future. I don't have a clue as to what is going to lead to its disappearance but I feel if you were to come back way out in the future, the scuba "tank" will be a thing of the past. I don't know much about rebreathers yet. Maybe that is the path but not the answer.

The underwater GPS (which was already mentioned) is a definite need.

The devices used to locate divers will probably become much more sophisticated as time passes.

We are going to see significant advances in underwater suits. I see all kinds of possibilities in this area.

Dropping weights will be improved as time passes. The weights may come in the form of a material that is disolveable with the push of a button. Controlling the rate or amount of disolve will be part of the design. Maybe weighting could be made reversible underwater and controlled by the diver. Push a button = more weight, push a button = less weight.

I suppose my inventor side is showing (I am legit, I have patents)

Good luck and keep at it!

thanks guys, i have had a thought about re-designing a tank!

I've thought of another idea, a full face mask/helmet similar to an offroad motorbike helmet, specifically for wreck/cave diving/oil rig maintenance.

It would allow you to breathe in the same way as a full face mask, however it would contain lights, and a system to reduce the chance of your tank supply hose from being caught up. its main task would be to protect your head from accidental knocks/ providing you with air/nitrox
It would possibly include optional extras such as welding masks/full comms system

current ones seem to be very bulky, and have hoses comming off them at all directions which increase the risk of getting tangled up in a wreck/cave.

what do you all think?

...current ones seem to be very bulky, and have hoses comming off them at all directions which increase the risk of getting tangled up in a wreck/cave.
They're about as compact (and clean) as they can be and still get them over your head; some are too small for me to get into (SL27 & Miller 300/400 for instance).
The Superlite Bandmasks have hard shells to wear over the hood for a very compact fit but those are still just considered a full face mask; the head still gets wet.
Hats are almost always used with surface air supply with a tank used just for bailout purposes.
Some years ago Kirby Morgan played around with a clamshell helmet; it had front / back with a rubber hood mounted to the front half keeping the head dry. I don't know why those flopped but there are only a couple-few prototypes floating around.
The hats / masks come by default with comms in them & can be equipped with lights & video cameras, as well as welding lenses.
Bottom line, the hat thing has been has been gone over pretty well but there still may be room for a basic freeflow helmet for tourist rental use in a controlled environment. (foot path through a reef type thing)

aquabelldivinghelmet2.jpg

Maybe weighting could be made reversible underwater and controlled by the diver. Push a button = more weight, push a button = less weight.

LOL - so you're suggesting a button that transforms the very nature of physical matter?

Hi All, new to the forum.

I'm currently doing a final year project for my product design course, and as a padi qualified diver i have decided i'd like to base my project on scuba equipment.

I've had several initial ideas, including oxygen tank sensors that transmit your tank pressure to a dive computer or HUD in the users mask. However, after doing research i discovered its been done already by oceanic. Other ideas included saftety equipment for divers trapped underwater, a type of flare gun that uses an inflatable device to float to surface transmitting a SOS signal.

I would really like to hear from you about things that you think could be improved within scuba gear, or anything to do with scuba that needs developing/improving. Can be anything!

Thanks very much, Any help appreaciated,
Rhys
Try a dive float and flag using a radar reflecting flag--so if a diver gets separated from his/her boat, they can easily be found by any boat with radar. Cheap and easy, and I do not think there is anything like this out there.
Dan Volker..p.s.
Send me a free one if you make this :)

hmm.. the kirby morgan ones seem to be quite messy with exposed hoses all over the place which i cant really seeing being ideal for wreck/cave diving.
they also appear to have limited viewing area, i know you can move your head around, but periphial vision seems somewhat limited? not exactly ideal?
thanks guys

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom