Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regs (2), computers (2), masks(2), compass, Gas Analyzer in pelican View attachment 757633
1535 Air Carry-On Case Interior: 20.4 × 11.2 × 7.2" Exterior: 22.0 × 14.0 × 9.0" 9lbs

(Caribbean via air)Wetsuit (5mm shortie), fins, BC, SAD bag, misc gear, clothes dity bag: View attachment 757634
Pelican iM2975 Storm Travel Case Interior: 29.0 × 18.0 × 13.8" Exterior: 31.3 × 20.4 × 15.5" 23 lbs

(Local diving via car) 7mm farmer john or drysuit, and as above Pelican View attachment 757635
1690 Protector Transport Case Interior: 30.1 × 25.1 × 15.4" Exterior: 33.4 × 28.4 × 17.7" 34lbs

+1 for this method

Excuse me for asking since it very new to me. By any chance do you know if the airlines treat these as regular luggage or they charge a lot more to ttransport? Know of any limitations they might have? Any risk?

I have traveled to 50+ countries with Pelican cases. They treat them just like regular luggage as long as they are with in the airlines luggage dimension and weight standards based on your class of travel. Obviously if its the size of an office desk and weights 200lbs then yes the will treat it as cargo.

Dive Luggage suggestions
1670662024118.png

Excuse me for asking since it very new to me. By any chance do you know if the airlines treat these as regular luggage or they charge a lot more to ttransport? Know of any limitations they might have? Any risk?
They're mostly normal luggage.
  • You can check airlines for what size (length, width, height) they allow for carry-on, or under the plane before they charge an extra fee.
  • Same for weight, and make sure to consider the weight of the case itself. For example, I have a 25lbs Pelican case, which means if I took it on a trip, it could only hold 25lbs of gear before it hits the common 50lbs limit.
If you don't mind airline fees around weight or size, they're AMAZING for protecting gear in transit. (though obviously theft is a different matter).

For something like a rebreather, I'd say it's absolutely worth it. For theft, the main thing you have to worry about is small valuable items, like cameras, dive-watches, laptops, etc.

1. How do you safely transport your usual Dive Gear to a local beach/spring?

3. How do you transport your dive dear via Airline -or- Would you just dish out the cash and rent all your equipment?
I use a plastic milk crate for lugging gear to a dive site from a car or truck. Gear is not that fragile, you might want to keep your mask in a plastic box, you could put your computer in a small plastic box too if you're worried about it.

For airline travel, I just pack stuff in a suitcase with clothes and try to pad things like lights and 2nd stages. The masks are in their boxes, and I usually carry my computer on the plane. Everything else goes in luggage. Dive gear is pretty tough. Of course you'd never take weights on a dive trip, every resort and charter has weights.

I just don't worry much about traveling with dive gear, I've been doing it for decades and I've never had a problem. Just try to pack with some reasonable care. I also have traveled with musical instruments for decades that cost 10X as much as all my dive gear and are very fragile. Those I stress about!

Just in a plastic tote in the back seat area of my truck. Mask and computer stay in their OEM cases. I usually put my regs and backplate/harness on the tank at home and set the whole rig in the backseat area of the truck where it cannot roll around. If we are using a boat I put all the smaller stuff in a plastic milk crate for the boat ride. In that scenario I put my computer in my mask case with the mask.

Costco cargo box for local diving one box per diver. Everything other than weights go inside. For boat dives I have a mesh bag. For vacation travel I have a solid duffel (wheels are nice). Lights, camera, regulator and computer all go in carry on, wrapped in clothes. If you have nicer toys, the pelican cases are a great investment. If you have newbie/ basic gear, then inexpensive is plenty. Most of my duffle bag gear is either indestructible wrapped in my wetsuit.

I'm late to this thread but interested in your advice as well, being a new diver figuring out basic things like this. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

If you are travelling once or twice a year than a decent suitcase works fine and doesn't scream "dive gear inside". As mentioned above, regs, camera, and computer go in carry-on. I also take my flashlight/torch in carry-on. The rest goes in a single suitcase. Pelican are nice but expensive if not traveling extensively.

Boat diving use a mesh bag and/or milk crate depending if local or travel.

Locally, the costco tub holds everything except weight and computer, transmitter stays on regs. I keep my soft weights in an ammo can, it is easier to manage, also keeps water in until rinsed and dried. The costco tub doubles as a rinse tub as well.

On your list you should add a DSMB and save-a-dive kit. My travel SAD is smaller than my local SAD.

Back
Top Bottom