Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaverickDiver94

Registered
Reaction score
I've posted a few question on here so far and I admit, most of the advise here has been very helpful.
Figured I'd start a topic that may seem obvious or simple for most, but confusing for beginners like myself.
Here are a few question that myself or I've heard students ask. Let me know your thoughts/ideas:

1. How do you safely transport your usual Dive Gear to a local beach/spring?
At the moment, I've only been diving in local springs so far. Currently using Stahlsac Mesh Backpack for all of my gear while I carry my wetsuit by hand to prevent any creases.

2. Is it a good idea to use a regulator bag to transport your regulator, dive computer, and transmitter in the same bag?
Just purchased my Regulator and BCD. The BCD I plan to carry loose as I do my wetsuit. However, I had no luck finding a small case just to safely carry my dive Computer and Transmitter. Thinking about just purchasing and using the same regulator bag. Im not comfortable of the idea of just throwing a dive computer and Transmitter in my bag.

3. How do you transport your dive dear via Airline -or- Would you just dish out the cash and rent all your equipment?
I'll be doing some boat dives during my Advanced Open Water and will also be taking a dive trip overseas next month. How do you pack and carry your equipment?
Short reminder:

1. How you would carry your gear to/from the hotel and dive site
2. I have to bring change of clothing for about a week - I love scuba diving but I wont be sleeping in my scuba gear like Adam Sandler in Big Daddy lol

Most common equipment checklist:
•Wetsuit (3mm or 5mm)​
•Fins + Boots​
•Mask + Snorkel​
•Regulator​
•Dive computer + Transmitter​
•Dive lights​
•BCD​
•Weights 6 - 10 lbs (thinking about renting instead of carrying)​

If you feel I missed something or want to add to anything mentioned in this post, please feel free!
I'm absorbing as much info as I can.

Thanks in advanced and happy diving,

Don’t worry about the creases in your wetsuit. Roll it before putting it in whatever bag you’re using.

You don’t need to take your transmitter off your first stage for car travel. You don’t need a separate pouch for your computer either. If you want to protect your regs/computer without getting another bag, roll them up in your wetsuit.

I’ve seen others use insulated soft sides lunch boxes/bags/coolers for regs (if they’re big enough), computers, camera equipment.

The big IKEA blue shopping bags work quite well for hauling dive gear for car travel. I use one for my drysuit. On the way home, I throw all my wet dive gear/undies in it and my drysuit in on top in the back of my SUV so the dirty attached boots don’t get any other gear dirty.

I drive my truck to all local diving. Most of my gear gets put into a large Costco tote and the rest in a 5 gal bucket. Tanks are laid down near the tail gate depending on how many I have with me.

Tote from bottom to top:
BP/W
Wetsuit (laid in and folded over itself)
Boots & gloves
Neoprene socks
Fins
Camera rig
Yoga mat for changing on

Bucket (in order):
Weight belt (plus a few extra soft weights just in case)
Regulators sets (2)
DSMB
Lift bag
BFK
Mask

It works for me and I can keep all my wet bs in the tote and bucket after the dive(s)

If it's not tough enough to endure being unceremoniously thrown in a bin all together and driven down a dirt road at speed it's not tough enough to trust my life to at depth. Sometimes the camera gets to ride in the front. Sometimes. Computer and mask get shoved in a fin pocket if I'm feeling particularly protective of them. I don't know any serious divers who use reg bags.

I hold the opposite view about rinsing though - I rinse all gear meticulously.

Regarding airline travel - jam as many heavy and valuable things as possible in a carry-on backpack which is generally not weight restricted and stays with you. Regs, lights, cameras, maybe even the backplate go in there. Lightweight and bulky things like wings/suits/fins go in the checked bag. Rent weights and tanks at the destination. Depending what you're doing you can get away with packing shockingly little land clothing on a dive-centric trip to a warm place. Don't pack separate outfits for each day unless you absolutely need them.

This older version of the Mares Cruise regulator bag comes with a small case to stow one's dive computer and transmitter:

1670469690226.png

I use this for local travel to dive sites as well as airline travel.

-Z

Bins are the easiest way to handle everything for local diving if you gear up at or near your vehicle. They also work great on a boat if allowed, ask before you get there what size is acceptable.

I wrap my regs in the wetsuit. Computer goes in mask box with mask (no snorkel) because it's watch-sized. If it were larger, then it would go in a fin foot pocket.

1 & 2 - that's how I transport my gear for local-diving. Regulator and computers share the same regulator-protective-case. Most other gear goes in a mesh-bag.

3 - I often bring my own gear, if I have the space. For expensive and small gear, such as cameras and dive-computers, you may wish to have those in your carry-on. The main thing I rent are tanks and weights. Alternatively, I do sometimes put weights in my carry-on, because they are small, and there's no weight-limit there. That's assuming you don't mind carrying that much weight through the airport.

3.1 - It depends on the dive-site. I also have a mesh roller bag I usually bring on vacations. It's not the best, but it works. This seems no different from how I'd bring gear to sites locally. Usually by car, and then a little bit of walking or carrying equipment to the site.

3.2 - I don't see a major problem with having clothes and dive-equipment. You may have to figure out how to pack lighter. Perhaps thinner clothes, fewer shoes, etc. I don't really know how you pack, so it's hard to advise exactly what you should do here.

Regs (2), computers (2), masks(2), compass, Gas Analyzer in pelican
1670517944765.png

1535 Air Carry-On Case Interior: 20.4 × 11.2 × 7.2" Exterior: 22.0 × 14.0 × 9.0" 9lbs

(Caribbean via air)Wetsuit (5mm shortie), fins, BC, SAD bag, misc gear, clothes dity bag:
1670518330214.png

Pelican iM2975 Storm Travel Case Interior: 29.0 × 18.0 × 13.8" Exterior: 31.3 × 20.4 × 15.5" 23 lbs

(Local diving via car) 7mm farmer john or drysuit, and as above Pelican
1670518441874.png

1690 Protector Transport Case Interior: 30.1 × 25.1 × 15.4" Exterior: 33.4 × 28.4 × 17.7" 34lbs

3. How do you transport your dive dear via Airline -or- Would you just dish out the cash and rent all your equipment?
I'll be doing some boat dives during my Advanced Open Water and will also be taking a dive trip overseas next month. How do you pack and carry your equipment?
Short reminder:

1. How you would carry your gear to/from the hotel and dive site
2. I have to bring change of clothing for about a week - I love scuba diving but I wont be sleeping in my scuba gear like Adam Sandler in Big Daddy lol

Most common equipment checklist:
•Wetsuit (3mm or 5mm)​
•Fins + Boots​
•Mask + Snorkel​
•Regulator​
•Dive computer + Transmitter​
•Dive lights​
•BCD​
•Weights 6 - 10 lbs (thinking about renting instead of carrying)​
If it's a dedicated dive trip I'm taking my gear. If I'm just getting in one or two day's diving on a family or business trip then I'm only taking my prescription mask and computer (which fits in my mask box) and a small dive light. Weights are always rented when doing dive travel, they are included in the price of the dive at every dive destination I've been to.

If I'm packing my gear, then BP/W, wetsuit, fins, mesh bag and most clothes go into a checked bag. Prescription mask, computer, lights and one change of clothes and maybe a neoprene vest go in a carry on. Regs will go in carry on unless it's a nonstop flight as I've had my checked bag miss connections or get left for a later flight on a small plane such as Grand Cayman to Little Cayman.

I bring a mesh bag for transporting gear at the destination.

Regs (2), computers (2), masks(2), compass, Gas Analyzer in pelican View attachment 757633
1535 Air Carry-On Case Interior: 20.4 × 11.2 × 7.2" Exterior: 22.0 × 14.0 × 9.0" 9lbs

(Caribbean via air)Wetsuit (5mm shortie), fins, BC, SAD bag, misc gear, clothes dity bag: View attachment 757634
Pelican iM2975 Storm Travel Case Interior: 29.0 × 18.0 × 13.8" Exterior: 31.3 × 20.4 × 15.5" 23 lbs

(Local diving via car) 7mm farmer john or drysuit, and as above Pelican View attachment 757635
1690 Protector Transport Case Interior: 30.1 × 25.1 × 15.4" Exterior: 33.4 × 28.4 × 17.7" 34lbs
Excuse me for asking since it very new to me. By any chance do you know if the airlines treat these as regular luggage or they charge a lot more to ttransport? Know of any limitations they might have? Any risk?

Back
Top Bottom