Private vs regular group lessons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@kay_ann

Oh here's a little story for you. One of my most nervous students for diving in the open water. He was a 6'5" 280 lb firefighter, the kind who busts through walls in burning buildings like the Kool Aid Man. I mean, if i hit him with my car, I wouldn't bother calling 911 as he'd be fine, but rather a tow truck as my car would be totaled.

So your nervousness is certainly not unheard of. It doesn't surprise me whenever anyone is nervous going in.

And if a 6'5" 280 lb firefighter can do it, so can you!

OMG. That reminds me when we did the surface swim navigation. That guy took off like a motorboat. No one could catch him when he went too far. I was worried he'd go into the shipping lane, get hit by a freighter, and sink it! o_O
omg he was one of the most nervous divers? and he regularly did more dangerous stuff every day. yay that he made it!!

yeah...pretty much how it is in my head too. miserable place sometimes. but yeah, when I accomplish what I thought I couldn't, the voices leave and i'm just really happy/proud. hopefully I'll get that when diving. I think it'll be pretty worry-free when I actually start.
my dream is wreck diving. I'd love to see some dope caves too.
Yay, wreck diving's amazing. I dive in the south of the UK and we've thousands of wrecks to play on mainly due to the wars but also to the unreliable radar in the Victorian period.

Wrecks are amazing though. The life that lives upon them is astounding. The sheer size and architecture of these wrecks is fascinating; their history too. It is sad that their demise is my hobby.

This is my playground -- it's about 30 miles across the chart.
WRECKSITE_-_Beachy_Head_to_Dungeness2.jpg

Yay, wreck diving's amazing. I dive in the south of the UK and we've thousands of wrecks to play on mainly due to the wars but also to the unreliable radar in the Victorian period.

Wrecks are amazing though. The life that lives upon them is astounding. The sheer size and architecture of these wrecks is fascinating; their history too. This is my playground -- it's about 30 miles across the chart.
View attachment 703006
they're a photographer's paradise. holy s*** I need to move lol. that's wild!!!

One thing you can discuss with the instructor is additional pool sessions. My wife did a regular group class, but did a couple one-on-one pool sessions with one of the instructors. She paid for the pool time with that instructor, but it gave her the ability to get the personal feedback without doing a completely private lesson. Worked out great.

One of the things I will reiterate is to speak with the shop and the instructors before signing up for the class. If they don't seem to understand and empathize with what you are saying, find somewhere else.
I always offer additional pool sessions at no extra charge because of the relationship I have with the pool owner.

omg he was one of the most nervous divers? and he regularly did more dangerous stuff every day. yay that he made it!!
My most nervous divers to date were a Deputy US Marshal and a retired police officer. Relax, don't over think things and stay in the moment. You'll do fine.

if I knew how fast he swam, I would have gotten my wakeboard!

Not what you'd expect of course, but water is a different environment. The key is to dive properly maintained gear, stay close to your buddy, monitor your cylinder pressure, and know which way you will exit.

Properly maintained gear is super reliable. many people never experience any issues. But being a little bit paranoid is good to have a backup plan, just in case.

@kay_ann

Forgot one tip (in case it wasn't already stated), but also practice taking long, slow breaths as this has a calming effect. This is stressed in many training courses, like rescue, as by relaxing your mind, you are better able to handle any issues. You will acquire skills to handle different situations, just breath, relax, think what you need to do, do it, and then continue enjoying your dive. Jim will definitely cover this very well (one of his many strengths).

@kay_ann

Forgot one tip (in case it wasn't already stated), but also practice taking long, slow breaths as this has a calming effect. This is stressed in many training courses, like rescue, as by relaxing your mind, you are better able to handle any issues. You will acquire skills to handle different situations, just breath, relax, think what you need to do, do it, and then continue enjoying your dive. Jim will definitely cover this very well (one of his many strengths).
yeah I messaged Jim and he totally understands what im saying so awesome :) and I'll make hot cocoa, eat some comfort food and breathe tonight haha

Right. I think it’d be beneficial to be taught the right way to swim and correct techniques. As well as for emergencies like if I need to swim up to the surface or save a friend, what I should do and the best swim techniques to go fast if you know what I mean

Actually you need them to develop the proper trim, breathing rhythm, and kick technique: those will help every time you go diving. Swimming fast to save a friend: not so much, as that doesn't happen very often, if ever. For the most part, being good at swimming helps you be relaxed in the water; that's the best diving technique there is.

Actually you need them to develop the proper trim, breathing rhythm, and kick technique: those will help every time you go diving. Swimming fast to save a friend: not so much, as that doesn't happen very often, if ever. For the most part, being good at swimming helps you be relaxed in the water; that's the best diving technique there is.
being relaxed is really important I'm sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom