Private vs regular group lessons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve seen divers who were naturals, but had absolutely no motivation and so achieved none of their goals.

It has nothing to do with money. I would rather get eye surgery for many reasons not just diving, instead of using a prescription mask. I also don’t like the way I see with glasses, contacts are way better :)
If you're talking about Lasic, I had that 16 years ago, and it was 2 weeks before I took the OW course. Drs. said just keep eyes closed when maskless underwater. All went fine. So you may want to wait longer than 2 weeks after the surgery before taking the course.

Valid points.

And please stop worrying about learning speed. Learning speed over a weekend and leaning speed over a year (or a decade!) are independent of each other. Motivation is what gives results.
I need to. luckily @Jim Lapenta is dope and gives free extra pool lessons

If you're talking about Lasic, I had that 16 years ago, and it was 2 weeks before I took the OW course. Drs. said just keep eyes closed when maskless underwater. All went fine. So you may want to wait longer than 2 weeks after the surgery before taking the course.
I'm not getting it done anytime soon I'm waiting until at least next year. thanks though!

I had a hell of a rocky beginning. I’m also a slow scuba learner. Five years and 400+ dives later, I now cave dive (intro level). I got here by being a very stubborn and persistent b***h.
that's awesome!! it feels so much better reaching goals that you've worked so hard for. I've achieved things I never thought I could do academically for example because of those traits. hopefully it'll be that way in diving, with hard work & effort

I’ve seen divers who were naturals, but had absolutely no motivation and so achieved none of their goals.
"hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" is one of my favorite quotes. scuba diving isn't a competition, but its true.

I’m wondering if you think the extra money for a private open water session would be worth it. I feel like I’d compare myself to others and feel stressed if I’m not learning as fast, plus I’ve heard in private sessions you can work more at your own pace. What do you think? Is it worth the extra money or should I just do the small group one?
A group would give you better motivation and support.

Attachments

• Mastering Your Diving.pdf
    633.9 KB · Views: 54
  • NOAA Diving Manual 4th Ed.pdf
    12.3 MB · Views: 70
A group would give you better motivation and support.
hahaha this was like 2 months ago LOL and I'm doing private lessons. I'd say my instructor gives more than enough motivation and support. prefer it a lot to being with others because I am still so, so unconfident lol.
eta: my online scuba friends are also great.

Back
Top Bottom