Private vs regular group lessons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like abandoned stuff so wrecks are up my alley. But I may not like it. I’ll try them all lol
There is looking at wrecks, and then there's penetrating wrecks. For old stuff, unless you are deep in the Baltic Sea, there's nothing to go inside. It is more about the history. Also, shipwrecks are often great places for fish to hide.

There is looking at wrecks, and then there's penetrating wrecks. For old stuff, unless you are deep in the Baltic Sea, there's nothing to go inside. It is more about the history. Also, shipwrecks are often great places for fish to hide.
Even if I don’t go in it’s still cool to see

I’m wondering if you think the extra money for a private open water session would be worth it. I feel like I’d compare myself to others and feel stressed if I’m not learning as fast, plus I’ve heard in private sessions you can work more at your own pace. What do you think? Is it worth the extra money or should I just do the small group one?
You have told us that you do not want to invest in a prescription mask (because of planned eye surgery in the future).
Hence, I would not recommend spending money on private sessions either.
Do not get me wrong. Private sessions are GREAT, especially if you have a fear of water or other big challenges.

You write: "I feel like I’d compare myself to others and feel stressed if I’m not learning as fast".

Stop that comparison right now!
Group pressure has led to stupid action and tragedy (and it almost got me killed).
You will do things at your own pace, and it is fine, OK?
Your own pace.

I was a slow learner and now I have done things that the faster learners have not. You can be good at 100m sprint but that will not make you a marathon champion. If you want to get far you need to be slow and methodical and not give up. It takes time, and that is 100% OK.

but what you are not telling @kay_ann is that you can't see these wrecks until you smack into them! :oops::p:poke::stirpot::rofl3:

@kay_ann

You may want to add this to your list of dive sites: Persitera Wreck - Alonissos Diving Center There are a couple Roman wrecks in Italy that you can dive as well.

You forgot the fact that the skipper won’t take payment before the dive a third of the year because there is a higher probability to be blown out by the wind than to dive during the low season. 😂

I had 6-7 days booked last year around Brighton last year, none of them went ahead. Ironically the only one from my local club I didn’t book, went ahead … 😈

Hoping to see the Brighton Marina in Feb for the first time in more than a year 😂

I had 7-8 dives booked last year around Brighton last year, none of them went ahead. Ironically the only one from my local club I didn’t book, went ahead … 😈
My dive buddies and I all joke that we tell whoever didn't go that we saw orcas.

So one year, I didn't go to Neah Bay trip with them. I get messages about orcas.

And then I get video showing my friend surfacing next to a pod of orcas (the boat is on the other side) who ignore him and keep going.

I'm still kicking myself for missing that one.

You have told us that you do not want to invest in a prescription mask (because of planned eye surgery in the future).
Do not get me wrong. Private sessions are GREAT, especially if you have a fear of water or other big challenges.

You write: "I feel like I’d compare myself to others and feel stressed if I’m not learning as fast".

Group pressure has led to stupid action and tragedy (and it almost got me killed).
Your own pace.

I was a slow learner and now I have done things that the faster learners have not. You can be good at 100m sprint but that will not make you a marathon champion. If you want to get far you need to be slow and methodical and not give up. It takes time, and that is 100% OK.
It has nothing to do with money. I would rather get eye surgery for many reasons not just diving, instead of using a prescription mask. I also don’t like the way I see with glasses, contacts are way better :)

Your own pace.

I had a hell of a rocky beginning. I’m also a slow scuba learner. Five years and 400+ dives later, I now cave dive (intro level). I got here by being a very stubborn and persistent b***h.

I would rather get eye surgery for many reasons not just diving, instead of using a prescription mask. I also don’t like the way I see with glasses, contacts are way better :)
Valid points.

And please stop worrying about learning speed. Learning speed over a weekend and leaning speed over a year (or a decade!) are independent of each other. Motivation is what gives results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom