Preparing for the Flower Gardens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's good to hear, Bill. Looking forward to the trip!

I'm pretty decent on air consumption, and I like using a HP100 at the flower gardens. Its not really about extending bottom time, it's about a bigger reserve and the ability to take leisurely extended safety stops, still returning to the boat with lots of gas. (I rarely stop for less than 8 minutes on dives there) 5 dives/day to near 100 ft is a lot of N2, and a very efficient way to off-gas is to spend an extra 5-10 minutes at 10 ft. Personally I feel less fatigued doing nice long stops, and as a bonus, you can get pretty up-close-and-personal with the barracuda that seem to enjoy hanging out at the down lines. So, in addition to the good advice on this thread, I'd suggest using either a LP95 or HP100, (due to the limitations of the filling system, you can't really get a 3442 PSI fill anyway, so the LP95 might actually yield more gas) plan on extended stops, and don't eat too much!

Regarding the "nitrox tank" business, I just do not understand what this confusion is. The industry standard has long been that anything exposed to over 40% O2 requires O2 cleaning, and anything under is treated as normal scuba air. There is no "nitrox clean" somewhere in the middle between air and high percentage O2 use. Why so many dive shops can't seem to get this straight is a real mystery, except it does allow them to sell stickers and additional cleaning services to recreational divers. Since the Fling banks nitrox 32, there is no reason to contend that there needs to be something special about the tank that receives this gas. Now, it is their boat, and they can impose any rule they see fit, and they have a valid concern about high pressure cylinders on their boat. So its probably best to talk directly with the Fling ownership or captain (I wouldn't bother with anyone else) before arriving to make sure your tank will be acceptable. I suspect that any tank with a valid hydro/vis and some indication that it has nitrox in it or is intended to be used with nitrox would be welcome. The person responsible for filling tanks on these trips works for tips and understandably is not an expert on O2 clean protocols and their use in recreational diving. They do charge extra for nitrox fills in tanks larger than 100 cft, rightly so IMO.

The FGB trip is well worth taking and really does offer something unique in U.S. waters. The Fling has been around a long time and provides a good, safe experience.

You should call the Fling to ask if your personal tanks are ok, if something other than AL80. It will need to fit in their tank holders, which are those two-armed plastic thingies. Your tank filler should check hydro/viz. Not sure if they will fill nitrox into an air tank.

Not sure about the charge but it varies whether it's a 2/3/4 day trip. I thought it was $65 for a 2 day trip. About $10/tank although you can't buy it by the tank, it's all or none for the trip.

Their tank holders can be adjusted to fit larger tanks. I've run LP120's out there. As mentioned, the Nitrox price is higher for tanks over 100ft3.

I think having larger tanks is worth it. You get an extra 5-15 minutes of bottom time with an additional safety buffer. Last trip out, I ran 1hr+ bottom times each dive and surfaced with 800-1000 on a 120.

That's good to hear, Bill. Looking forward to the trip!

Me too! Say, we need to get together for a Lake Murray dive or some such. Let me know if you have any idea about dates, etc... I'm pretty much open for anything, but a few items are on the calendar that I'll need to shoot around.

I'm happy with my AL80's in Lake Travis. I wonder if any kind souls would want to "rent" me a nice big steal tank for a flower gardens trip? ( Haven't actually scheduled on yet...)

Great info here! I'm doing my first FG trip the last weekend of July and I'm very excited. I'm curious as to how the offshore conditions compare to Carolina diving?

Flower Gardens doesn't really compare well to diving in other places. It is open ocean diving there, and any conditions can be found, including, well, just about anything. Currents range from slack to up to 2 1/2 knots or so (measured, not the kind that Florida Keys captains like to say "Wow, the current on the (insert wreck name here) was 2 1/2 knots today. The divers barely made it down". If the current is 2 1/2 knots, you won't even hold onto a rope, much less go diving in it.) and change direction from the top to the bottom. Seas range from glassy calm to that Easter weekend I brought the Fling home in 16 foot seas. Visibility is usually in the 100 foot range in the FG, but can be 60 feet on Stetson bank. If there is a major fresh water event in the midwest and the Mississippi River is acting like the cloaca of the country, surface vis can drop to 10 or fewer feet and while the bottom vis is quite good, it's dark. Water temps in July will be lower to mid 80's. Air temps can be anything from damn cold (75) to real hot (110). One of the great things about the Flower Gardens is that, like Texas, if you don't like the conditions, wait a minute. They're sure to change. Have a great time.

Great info here! I'm doing my first FG trip the last weekend of July and I'm very excited. I'm curious as to how the offshore conditions compare to Carolina diving?

If you're talking about the three-day trip on July 30 to Aug 1, I'll be there, too (with another Swamper).

addendum: Wups! Just saw your profile info, Easy, and that your trip is right before ours. You'll be getting off theboat and we'll be getting on! Have a great trip!

If you're talking about the three-day trip on July 30 to Aug 1, I'll be there, too (with another Swamper).

addendum: Wups! Just saw your profile info, Easy, and that your trip is right before ours. You'll be getting off theboat and we'll be getting on! Have a great trip!
Hey thanks! I'm sure I'll be doing many more FG trips after this one. I've talked a lot with my buddy who used to DM on the Spree (or was it the Fling??) a few years ago about the diving there and have been wanting to go ever since. It would be great to dive with some of you guys one day. Have fun as well!

Back
Top Bottom