Preparing for the Flower Gardens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've thought of using a larger tank, but it really wouldn't stretch my dives that much. It's usually the NDL that ends my dives out there (at least after the first couple of dives, anyway). The average depth is a bit deep for that many dives that close together.

Were you diving nitrox or air?

For me, the issue is my diving buddy has the lungs of a squirrel and I hate having to end the dive when he still has ample gas left. So, it evens us out a bit. Plus, I like the buoyancy characteristics of the LP95 tank. With nitrox, I never hit the NDL limit at the FG.

do any of you know if they will top EANx tanks with air for the 1st dive of a day so we can have a deeper MOD than 110'? We are going in June and some people (Tec divers on the trip) were curious. Sharon hasn't been able to answer me as yet.

They would not do that for me. They insisted on emptying my tank (of 500 psi of air) before they would do the nitrox fill.

I've not been on the boat but I've asked Wendy a boat load of questions. They bank 32% and don't do any kind of blending in divers tanks. They don't require nitrox tank markings and use a green cap to indicate a nitrox fill. Drain and fill, analyze and sign the logs. Report any result that's not 32% +/- 1%.

I imagine if you brought your own tanks you could bring 28% for the first dive then switch to 32% for subsequent dives. Or you could ask for an air fill on the first dive and switch after then. Do make sure that your friends realize the kinds of profiles that are allowed on this boat. Better to avoid disappointment.

That does raise an interesting question to me though. I wonder how often people will just dive 1.6 ppo2 on the first dive. For a few minutes at least.

My nitrox computer has 1.6 hardwired and that is what I dive. Should not matter much on the first day as the site will probably not have easy access to water over 100 ft. Subsequent days will probably have ready access to the boat depth limit of 130 feet.

That reminds me, does anyone know where you can get a green color DIN plug? Scubatoys sells them in every color but green.

That reminds me, does anyone know where you can get a green color DIN plug? Scubatoys sells them in every color but green.

I have not been able to find one either. I bring my own fill adapter and have the nitrox green cover attached to it. They have a fill adapter but it does not always work well. They do not have green din plugs. I suggest you bring your own adapter and put a yoke cover on it. It also means you valve will always be protected from spray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom