Preparing for the Flower Gardens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any sites in Lake Travis make nitrox worth while? I think the fathest I've been down was around 80' to see the memorial off of Mansfield. Seems hard to justify the extra $8 to get EANx.

Not really, with the current lake levels at most sites anything below about 90 is just mud a flat.

Ok, Flower Gardens is back on the radar. I've googled and haven't found the answer to this question:

I can only assume that the flower gardens banks their nitrox. Is it safe to assume they don't require customer tanks to be O2 clean? (If I bring an LP45). Do they want a nitrox sticker or are they fine just putting a tank contents sticker on it?

Ok, Flower Gardens is back on the radar. I've googled and haven't found the answer to this question:

I can only assume that the flower gardens banks their nitrox. Is it safe to assume they don't require customer tanks to be O2 clean? (If I bring an LP45). Do they want a nitrox sticker or are they fine just putting a tank contents sticker on it?

The Flower Gardens is a dive site. The Fling is one way to get there. If you choose to go on the Fling, they make nitrox using a membrane, and it is banked and cylinders are filled between dives. I no longer speak for the Fling, but when I did, all that was required was a contents sticker. Are you using your 45 for a pony or your main cylinder? If you are using it for a pony, you will not get a refill on it anyway, or at least that was the policy when I was there. Using your pony meant you had run out of air in your main cylinder, and whatever the penalty was for running out of air was what you faced. A pony is an emergency air supply for a problem, not an extend-a-dive kit. Again, I no longer speak for the Fling, but Sharon does, sharon@flingcharters.com. YMMV

Yes, their nitrox is banked on the Fling. The boat tanks do not have nitrox stickers. They use "nitrox green" valve caps to identify nitrox tanks. An LP45 is quite a bit larger than you need for a bailout bottle. I have always figured that air is a perfectly adequate bail out gas for recreational diving. The boat does not use tank content stickers. You just analyze your gas and log the results.

---------- Post added March 5th, 2013 at 09:03 AM ----------

Using your pony meant you had run out of air in your main cylinder, and whatever the penalty was for running out of air was what you faced. A pony is an emergency air supply for a problem, not an extend-a-dive kit.

Using a pony does not necessarily mean you are OOA in your main tank. But, unless you are just getting in a little practice (save it for the last dive) it does mean you have pushed the edge of you gas management threshold. Once you get to a LOA situation, I believe a bail-out bottle should become a resource for gas management to get you safely to the surface. At that point, it would be silly to drain your main gas in a nice slow normal ascent before making sure your pony is going to do what you expect.

Sorry guys, I meant to type lp95 for my main gas. Yes, the Fling was on my mind... sorry, I suck at communicating today.

Speaking of AAS, I do dive an AL40. The plan would be to bring it full of air and leave with it full of air. I assume no one would have a problem with that.

Wife and I were supposed to be on the Fling this weekend for the Hammerhead trip - had to cancel because our sons ship date to Marine Corps basic got switched to this weekend. Looking forward to getting out there as soon as things get settled down though!

Sharon at Fling has always been very helpful in answering any questions I've had, so just shoot her an email from the link Wookie posted above if you have any questions.

Speaking of AAS, I do dive an AL40. The plan would be to bring it full of air and leave with it full of air. I assume no one would have a problem with that.

No one would have a problem with that.

Does anyone know how much of a pain it is to adjust the boat's tank holders for an LP95 (they are slightly larger in diameter than an AL80)? Next time I go on a FG trip, I'm planning on diving my LP95.

I don't know how much of a pain it is, but I know Wendy told me to tell them in advance so they could know to do it.

Not to sound insensitive, but when I go on a trip I'm going to bring an LP95 (not LP45!!) and I'm not really concerned with how much of a pain it is for them. I want the extra ballast and gas.

I sent them an email and they replied promptly - no problem. I guess I'm not the first genius to think of bringing along an LP95.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom