Flower Gardens NMS on Double Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sensorone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did the Flower Gardens NMS out in the Gulf of Mexico 8-11 June (last week) on my Phoenix RAM purchased from the Scuba Museum. Was one that Bryan put together with DA Aqumaster cans. I have spent considerable time and effort over the last couple of years to get a rig together that would allow me to get the most out of double hose and think I succeeded. Subsea sports vintage backplate with a DGX S1 wing, single piece harness that when I don't tighten the straps so much went sitting on the bench during suit up, places the can in the correct position. I compared this against a Conshelf XIV single hose that I rebuilt that breathes exceptionally well that I used for a single dive and I can honestly say that I like the double hose better. I had the hoses dialed in so the DSV ( I had the DSV from before as it did not come on the regulator as purchased from the Scuba Museum) was in the correct position- I added 6 hose weights to balance things out. Dove it to 100ft with zero issues. 8 day dives, 2 night dives, Flower Gardens east bank, West bank, 2 rig dives and Stetson Bank. Better? All I know is that I enjoyed the experience and will be moving it to my primary regulator in the line up. Thank you to all of the contributors that have helped me along the way. Had it not been for the knowledge gained here, I would have never attempted to dive a double hose offshore. It has fulfilled a dream that I have had since watching Mike Nelson and Jaques Cousteau in the 70's. RIP Bryan you did good.

Attachments

• IMG_5993.jpg
    IMG_5993.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 96
The FGBMS is a well kept secret. One of the healthiest systems in the world. And right off Louisiana and Texas, cannot beat that with a stick!

Thanks for the report. Would love to get back there someday. Even maybe dive one of my Krakens.

Neat photo. Cropped and zoomed a bit, it would make a neat avatar for you!

Did the captain/crew/fellow divers express any concern about your diving a DH? And what cylinder(s) did you use?

TIA,
rx7diver

The regulator got a few looks and questions but the crew has seen double hoses before and drew little more than a few comments from fellow divers. I really liked the way it performed, ease of breathing was fine (I adjusted the second stage to 1" h2o and it behaved in a very stable manner even with the 6ft drop to the water) I could have tweaked it for better performance but I really like the way it dove. I think I will leave it as is. All dives performed with an aluminum 80 with 32% nitrox to depths of 100ft averaging 65ft.

The FGBMS is a well kept secret. One of the healthiest systems in the world. And right off Louisiana and Texas, cannot beat that with a stick!

Thanks for the report. Would love to get back there someday. Even maybe dive one of my Krakens.
[/QUOTE

Going again on Aug 25 Fri-Sun. Bunks still available.

Thanks for the heads up. I am afraid I will be in the Red Sea at that time if all proceeds per plan. Have a good trip, the FGB is quite the adventure and so close to home!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom