Pony bottle 19 vs 30 cf, and clipped on left side of BP/W ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am only chiming in to add another vote for what Tbone said. I went through the pony tank decision last winter. In Lake Erie the go-to is an Al30, which is worn any time a diver goes below the depth we would be comfortable doing a CESA. That is about 60 feet for most folks here. However, Tbone's posts convinced me to go with the Al40 and I am very glad I did. I rig it with standard stage rigging and a loop bungee borrowed from sidemount and it snugs up and disappears during a dive. It gives me wonderful peace of mind on a wreck at 100 feet with a current flowing and my fingers slowingly freezing. I am quite good at sticking with my buddy but there is no substitute for having one's own redundant gas down deep.

But that is for my diving. I am down deep and cold so I need more than 19 cu ft of gas if I lost back gas. That leaves 30's and 40's, and 40's are more pleasant to dive with. A warm water diver may need less, and a 19 or 13 cu ft tank is always going to be easier to travel with. For your 30 to 60 foot diving a pony is not really needed, except for the fact it is solo diving. Well, that is an entirely different set of considerations. Obviously those are best answered in an actual solo class. Otherwise I suggest analyzing your dive site risks and equipping yourself according to those risks. Are you protecting yourself against catastrophic gas loss? Entanglement? Just want to use a pony because that is something solo divers do? Also, are you diving anywhere else? Traveling suggests a smaller tank if it satisfies your gas needs, cold water deep diving would send you towards a bigger one. That is a personal decision, derived from your gas consumption and dive needs.

It is generally recommended that divers make a simple calculation of gas needs to cover the spectrum of their dives for which they are going to carry a redundant supply.

I use a minute at depth, a normal ascent, and a 3 minute safety stop, all at twice my average RMV.

Slightly off topic: if you carry a pony, do you still need the octopus reg or would the pony reg be donated in an ooa situation?
Thanks

Slightly off topic: if you carry a pony, do you still need the octopus reg or would the pony reg be donated in an ooa situation?
Thanks
I donate the whole pony.

I’ve practiced so that I would be able to. As stated earlier, I don’t really dive with anyone else. But if I did, and they were lower on air than I was, I could.

Always wondered about this “donation thing”. Started in 1976 - never had to donate anything yet. Pony, octo or primary. Subject for another thread I suppose.

Have you actually done it? Unclip and give to an OOA diver?

I've often wondered if they would just drop it.

Best thing to give to an OOA diver is the regulator you are breathing from. Then, once they have taken a breath, you can give them the pony if you are so inclined.

If you don’t have a backup second stage on your back gas in addition to the pony, then you will probably want to negotiate a trade to get your primary back...

Again I think about 45 years ago someone invented the submersible pressure gauge. With 52 years of diving 5 of witch were with a “J” valve and no SPG, I have never run out of air.

From @Sam Miller III in the thread Submersible Pressure Gauge (SPG)
"The post was to demonstrate to those who loudly proclaim that "I began diving there was no SPG!" that there were SPGs --The American version was introduced in 1954 and the French (European) introduced in 1930s."

One picture in the thread has what looks like an SPG in 1926.

The reason the early, for us in the '60's, SPGs not being in common use was that they could cost as much as a reg set.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom