Pony bottle 19 vs 30 cf, and clipped on left side of BP/W ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving solo to a maximum of 10-20 metres in the small lake (no currents, visibility 7 m, variable temperature, etc.) beside the family chalet. The pony is just in case of an unpredictable catastrophic malfunction of the primary air supply.
If your in a situation where you might need a pony, than you darn sure should be able to manage duel outlet valves and an spg. Diving for 52 years and never had a neck ring let loose during a dive. Has happened while getting cave fills twice. Sorry, I’m just not a subscriber to pony tanks.

What are the pros and cons of diving with a 19 cf vs 30 cf pony bottle ?
What would be the "average" duration of each size ?
The cost of either one is practically the same here in Canada.

If your setup is backplate/ wing, would the left side D-ring be the best place to clip it ?
Is it possible to partially mitigate the effect of having an extra load on one side with trim weights on the other ?

(Some divers will probably say that pony bottles and BP/W don't mix well, so we might possibly be throwing DIR out the window, unless I'm wrong. :D )

Edit: Please note I spelled "poney" as we would do when writing in the french language. :wink:

I guess I should have mentioned in the original post that I am only requesting advice from divers who believe ponies are a good thing.

The purpose of this thread was not meant to add to the myriad of pro- vs anti-pony discussions already present on SB.

I guess I should have mentioned in the original post that I am only requesting advice from divers who believe ponies are a good thing.

The purpose of this thread was not meant to add to the myriad of pro- vs anti-pony discussions already present on SB.

I like pony bottles for appropriate dives.

On the other hand, I don’t see the point of coming here to get advice but first deciding ahead of time which advice you want... Keep an open mind, sometimes someone says something you hadn’t thought of. :)

I wear a pony every dive. It's a good thing.

I think of that a lot.

People giving advice about a device should probably be the ones who actually use it. Simple concept, but often seems rare.

Pony bottles and air 2’s seem to be lightening rods for descent, but IF you are going to use one of them (or heaven forbid both) then the people who have completed many hundreds of dives with them might be a better resource than someone who has 50 dives, never used the device
and is regurgitating comments made by his instructor or his technical dive buddy.

Not that this pertains specifically to any of the people in this thread, just a general observation.

I think of that a lot.

People giving advice about a device should probably be the ones who actually use it. Simple concept, but often seems rare.

Pony bottles and air 2’s seem to be lightening rods for descent, but IF you are going to use one of them (or heaven forbid both) then the people who have completed many hundreds of dives with them might be a better resource than someone who has 50 dives, never used the device
and is regurgitating comments made by his instructor or his technical dive buddy.

Not that this pertains specifically to any of the people in this thread, just a general observation.
Hah. Have used an Air2 on every one of 4000 dives,and the Sherwood Shadow+ before that from the day I got certified. And have carried a pony on perhaps the last 2,000 dives.

Some divers will probably say that pony bottles and BP/W don't mix well, so we might possibly be throwing DIR out the window, unless I'm wrong. :D
In DIR diving, your buddy is your backup, not an extra tank.

upload_2018-9-24_17-39-5.jpeg

Pressed Steel E series 119 with “H” DIN valve. Pony’s are not needed.

View attachment 481420
What am I missing? I see the option for redundant 1st stages but thats about it. Where is the redundent gas? And how well does this work with travel and rental tanks?

View attachment 481420
Unless you run out of gas. Sure be nice to have a few more breaths to get to the surface, wouldn’t it? Peace of mind and all?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom