please tell me your fav bc & why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats my fav good number of D rings, decent pocket sizes, weight intergrated, and the way it can hold you while floating on the surface.

Boogie711 once bubbled... "This is the second BC you list amongst your favourite BC's which is at least 20 years old..."

I've shown four BC's. A Nemrod horsecollar, Dacor Nautilus, a SeaTec wing, and a Scubapro "Bat Wing". They are all about 25-years old. Diving primarily in fresh water allows scuba gear to last practically forever, given normal wear and care.

"earlier you referenced continuing, to this day, to dive with a J valve and a push rod instead of an SPG..."

Sometimes I dive with "Triple Protection". A J-valve, a pressure gauge, and a circa 1977 Scubapro MK-VII "Honker" first stage. The MK-VII has a very noticible audio alarm that kicks in at low tank pressure. Even if I forget to check my J-valve or SPG, the regulator will remind me to surface.

"Now, don't get me wrong. I understand lots of very competent divers learned to dive with that equipment BACK IN THE DAY, but are you familiar with the advances in modern technology? :)"

Yea! The new BC's have 32 D-rings on the front. I won't mention the HUB.

"It just seems like your equipment stepped out of a time warp!"

Thanks!

:doctor: Regardless of the BC you pick make sure it has Intergrated Weight System.

I think Zeagle just came out with a BC
that dives for you while you stay on
the boat and drink Margaritas!!!

Decor Falcon! 270$ Back infacion. cumfy! light weight. pockets. itergrated weight systom. the BC IS awsome.:mean:

Id vote for Buddy Commando (without emergency cylinder)

Lots of D-rings, comfy fit and large accesible pockets. I wish id bought one now.

I use a Mares Vector Chrome and its "ok" but looks a little flimsy. Plastic D rings that i dont trust, nylon that seems to fray and pocket that although lovely on land are near unusable underwater.

My next BC buy will definately be a Commando.

I avoid integrated stuff like the plague, firstly if you have to dekit underwater you cant and secondly, if most of your diving is off RIBs, pity the poor sod on the boat that has to lift your kit onboard as you try to climb out.

That is flat out COOL! String, why would you not want the emergency air bottle? When I first looked at the "Auto-Air" inflator (designed in 1972), I thought that it was like the Scubapro Air2. But this is WAY different. The BC liner is even "anti-microbial" because you may want to breath out of it.
"But the Auto Air does more than this. For example, if you ran out of air, the Auto Air's jacket breathing valve would pull in giving you those vital first breaths from the jacket, air which can be replenished from your jacket's mini air cylinder. This gives you time to assess the situation and make a controlled ascent.

During the ascent, due to reducing ambient pressure your main cylinder will probably be able to supply air again for a short time, in which case the Auto Air feeds the air to you. If the air supply from your main cylinder is again used up then the Auto Air will supply air from the jacket. This alternating from one to the other is noticeable by different inhalation efforts and is governed simply by the availability of air in your main cylinder."
See: http://www.apvalves.com/BComm.html

newbie-in-fl once bubbled...
I think Zeagle just came out with a BC
that dives for you while you stay on
the boat and drink Margaritas!!!

That HUB thingy looks like some sort of robot jet pack or something. Does ayone know if it has an Autodive button??? You know just push a button and go along for the ride.
Now that's what I call Diving!:D

ew1usnr once bubbled...
That is flat out COOL! String, why would you not want the emergency air bottle?

Basically its a lot of added weight for something which in my opinion has very little if any practical use. I take my BC abroad and am subject to tight airline weight restrictions and struggle to cram my stuff in without the extra weight of a 0.4l or whatever bottle.

An issue with auto air is a lot of people here use them instead of owning an octopus - i dont like the idea of a possibly paniced buddy being on your auto air which will affect your buoyancy and also near the controls for your jacket.

Ive tried some AAS ascents using these and its fiddly, especially in a current, you have to be very close and controlling the ascent is at times fiddly depending on the breathing of the victim.

String once bubbled...
Ive tried some AAS ascents using these and its fiddly, especially in a current, you have to be very close and controlling the ascent is at times fiddly depending on the breathing of the victim.

I guess that you are right. While you are out of air and swimming for the surface might not be a good time to be dumping air out of the BC by breathing it. If you are going to carry an emergency air bottle, it might be better to simply rig it as a separate air source. The Auto-Air is an interesting concept, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom