please tell me your fav bc & why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just woulld like to get a sense of the following from as many of you as possible:

1) favourite bc for recreational scuba diving - general use, day to day
3) favourite bc for special circumstances & what you use it for

I have had a look at the recent poll for SeaQuest, Sherwood & Oceanic and there was some good input there...more is appreciated...I get asked this all the time and would like input from those whom I don't dive with all the time (many of whom are reps or have dive shops so may be a tad biased!) for a change!

I am also after fav regs as above.

buddy commando by AP valves

worlds biggest pockets
easy secure quick release
lots of lift
standard style so I can use it for for teaching easily
nice metal D rings
can be used with doubles
light enough to pack down and travel easily

I prefer the Chute because it is a back inflate model. Jackets tend to squeeze my large frame and make for an uncomfortable dive. It also has 8 bent steel D rings which I love. I can be a gadget freak and this gives me places to hang my catch bag or light or camera or lift bags, etc. It has 2 convenient and roomy side velcro pockets, and a large fold out mesh pocket that are easy to get to with gloved hands. Nice padding in the lumbar region, and this thing is tough. Still looks new and its been dragged a few times.

On the down side it can be cumbersome. Its not going to fold away into a bag along with the rest of your gear.

For regs I have a zeagle flathead with a 50 ZX octo. I prefer balanced diaphram to piston. Its more comfortable for me when
I'm around or below 100'. Its sealed, and ready for cold water for the rare times I dive up North.

Safe diving.

SeaQuest Pro QD, but I'd be just as happy in a ScubaPro Classic.

For me it's the fit that counts more than anything.

I dove many brands of rental BCDs and there were certain ones that felt right and worked right. With others, the tank would flop around a bit when doing rapid turns or underwater acrobatics. Some would cinch up tightly, but then the bladder would sqeeze me when fully inflated.

Spend some time trying them out and find the one that is right for you.

---------------------------

As for regs, think about what sort of answers you would get if you asked "What's a good car?" There will be fanatics that are absolutely convinced that their favorite car is the only decent one around, but the fact is that there are lots of decent low end, mid range, and high end cars.

In much the same way, there are low end regs and high end regs. You can't go wrong getting any of the higher performance regs. There are subtle differences/advantages/disadvantages between Apeks/ScubaPro/Atomics/Zeagle/....., but for most purposes any decent reg is as good as another.

Charlie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

p.s. I use an Atomics B1 -- the best reg in the world and the rest are all junk :D

Tusa Imprex for pool use. It's cheap so I don't worry about it getting discolored by the chlorine.

Scubapro Classic Black for general recreational diving Circa 1997 ). Very long lasting BC and extremely stable in any position.:)

Use to rent BC - USD Sonic. Quite ok BC except if cannot get the right size, stupid tank move left and right. Plus have to use 6 pc of lead, the back hurts like hell after the dive.

Eventually bought a Zeagle Ranger. Weight integrated and back inflated. Stable tank attachments and very comfortable. BUt the bc has a little too much bulk in the front. Otherwise it is a great bc.

Finally decided to change to a BP/Wing combo. Now only need 2 pc of lead, or maybe even less. Have yet to tried it out.

Michael

For Recreational and Teaching
I use a Mares Vector 1000
Why? It is bullet proof, I have had this one for 4 years and it still looks as good as they day I purchased it. It is very comfy and great for teaching and general recreational Diving.

For Technical
I use a Zeagle Back Plate with a Zeagle 55# Dual Bladder
Why? Carries all the weight with ease, is super comfy underwater. I love the compact wing it does not stick out or fly around like some; I use a twin bladder as I dive both wet and dry. And once again it is bomb proof.

Zeagle Concept II Pro with an Escape bladder for traveling, I change it over. I have used a lot of back inflation BC and love the fit of the Zeagle. I prefer the Concept II Pro over the Ranger because it is less bulky but still has a 44lb bladder. I can use the same harness over a drysuit or a 3mm shorty. The rip cord is always where I want it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom