question to Seaquest Balance BCD users, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedrewsf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello - I'm a recent 'convert' to the Seaquest Balance BCD...after being a very long-time jacket BCD diver (30 years & > 5000 dives with the Seaquest QD+ Pro).
I'm having some issues with the Balance and would appreciate feedback/advice from others who still actively dive this BC.

My main issue is with my trim...and ironically, my 'balance' using the Balance. Since the bladder is massive (and I dive warm water with either 9#/3mm or 14#/5mm = don't need too much lift), I find myself having to twist my body to/fro to move the bubble to the very top of the bladder so my body position is centered. I think it's a combination of the massive bladder size and (somewhat rigid) fabric that prevents the bubble from centering on its own.

Also, venting this BC really requires me to lift the inflator hose pretty high (and straight up/down) above my head. Pulling down on the inflator doesn't work very well. I also find that the back right dump valve is pretty useless (even when I flip upside down). I suspect this may be a function of not really having too much air in the bladder (I just don't need the massive lift this BC offers).

I have found that putting all the weights in the two removable weight pouches is best for my trim (vs using the back pockets near the tank in combination).

So, I'm wondering is this just how this BC works (design) or is this common with all back-inflate BCs...or maybe this just me still getting used to the change (it's been about 15 dives now). Also, would a lower-lift donut design offer me better body positioning?

Thanks for any feedback :)

I have an ancient Balance (with velco weight pockets, not buckles) and though I don't use it a great deal anymore, I do use it on OW and AOW courses and the occasional pleasure dive.

I don't use it in warm water, just with 7mm wetsuit and sometimes a drysuit.

What you're describing is pretty consistent with my experience, and any other horseshoe BC/bladder. It takes a bit of technique to roll your body to move the air bubble to where you want it. There is a reason most wings are donuts now rather than horseshoe.

I have a huge dislike for any pull dump on the corrugated hose, no matter the BC. Have never used it, will never use it. Everyone I've seen using an inflator hose pull dump always seems to yank on the hose much harder than I ever feel comfortably with.

Edit: from "cold water" to "warm water"

Back
Top Bottom