Please delete my account

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been visiting discussion forums since they were bulletin boards and I was using dial up. On dozens of topics of all types I have rarely found the level of civility and friendliness that exists on Scubaboard. Considering the fact that some of what we discuss really is a matter of living or dying or being seriously injured for life it is amazing to me that Pete and the mods have gotten it to where it is. Add to that the fact that we have huge numbers of members and new ones every day it is a challenge to steer this ship toward calm waters.

I often see people come here and you can tell in their first few posts that they are accustomed to a rough and tumble internet world. Most of them quickly pick up on the slightly more respectful culture here. There is a balance. People don’t want it to be too sanitized but in general we keep it from becoming a cage match.

It’s important to me because if people can’t utilize the resource because it is too unpleasant to feel welcome and to enjoy themselves, they may not learn what they need to stay safe and have fun. They may not stay in the activity. That is why when I was asked to become a mod, I quickly agreed. They have created a valuable resource and a friendly culture. I had already received so much from the site so I was glad to give back.

What i wear when I
MW-CX861_hazmat_20141030112017_MG.jpg

Hi Pete,

Simple Dreams, what a nice album from 30 years ago. I 'm also fond of the other Warren Zevon composition on the album, Carmelita. Thanks for the memory jog.

Now back to the previously programmed drama...
I onboard with this post. Lovely song with great memories - driving to Baja California with all my beach toys.

If you have made a post along the way -- and this applies to everyone -- that you regret because it reveals privacy sensitive information or information that you believe could make you traceable in the real world against your wishes then that is a privacy issue.

We used to have a local dive forum up here (since morphed into a FB group) that required users to use their real names. I liked it and found it kept things slightly more civil. It also made things interesting when two mortal Internet Enemies met up on a dive boat.

I kinda figure that if I am not willing to be identified with something I post, then I probably shouldn't be posting it. It's the reason my name is on the bottom of every post I make here.

In this case, the OP is suffering perhaps from feelings of importance. At the end of the day, nobody really cares about anything anyone says here. While the Internet may be forever, most of the content is forgotten in a matter of hours.

So @Landstander , simply walk away. Leave the "toxic" fumes behind. Nobody will notice, let alone care. Such is the nature of the Interweb. That way, if you decide you want to come back and try again, nothing will stop you. And just like your exit, nobody will care, and most won't notice when you return, until such time as you make some sort of worthwhile contribution.

@ Stoo : Wait a minute.... you aren't really "Stoo"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom